Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Military question - what's with the US marines and Montezuma?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military question - what's with the US marines and Montezuma?

I mean that USMC song/hymn starting with

"From the Halls of Montezuma
    To the Shores of Tripoli"

I'm pretty sure the second line refers to the Tripolitan War of the US against North African countries doing piracy in the Med against US ships.

But what does this Halls of Montezuma reference mean (sounds Aztec to me, but what would that have to do with the USMC?)? The German wiki article was no help (unless I missed something), so maybe some could help me out here?
    Blah

Re: Military question - what's with the US marines and Montezuma?

Originally posted by BeBro
    I mean that USMC song/hymn starting with

"From the Halls of Montezuma
    To the Shores of Tripoli"

I'm pretty sure the second line refers to the Tripolitan War of the US against North African countries doing piracy in the Med against US ships.

But what does this Halls of Montezuma reference mean (sounds Aztec to me, but what would that have to do with the USMC?)? The German wiki article was no help (unless I missed something), so maybe some could help me out here?

I think its the entry into Mexico City by US Marines during the Mexican-American war. Montezuma, was long gone by then, but it was a kind of romantic way of referring to Mexico City, like saying US troops entered the city of the Caesars in 1943, or the capital of Charlemagne in 1945.

"A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Ahh, Mexico....yes that makes sense. Thx
      Blah

Comment

It means that the USMC claims its ultimate heritage all the way back to Cotez's conquistadors. It's their way of proclaiming their mission of salvation to our little brown brothers.
        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
            It means that the USMC claims its ultimate heritage all the way back to Cotez's conquistadors. It's their way of proclaiming their mission of salvation to our little brown brothers.

...more precisely, against the city-state of Tripoli.

Comment

The mission lives on in Iraq where many of the inhabitants who have been saved for democracy are literally exploding with enthusiasm for their saviors.
              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Killing it is the new killing it
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Unfortunately, we can't save them from themselves.

Comment

The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power.

Join Eventis, the land of spam and unspeakable horrors!

Comment

Comment

The "halls of Motezuma" may also have something to do with the effects of drinking the swamp water at Paris Island.

Comment

They ought to know, that you should allways take care of Monty way before Marines become available.
                          I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Working...
                          X