Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raul Castro extends olive branch to U.S.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What exactly is the US's problem with Cuba. Its much better than alot of countries out there
    Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
    Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

They were the first Latin American country in which a US "intervention" failed miserably. It's sheer embarrassment.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by TheStinger
        What exactly is the US's problem with Cuba. Its much better than alot of countries out there
        Its VERY close. It was liberated by us in 1898, Teddy Roosevelt made his rep there. In addition to massive investments, and major security interests due to proximity, there was an emotional involvement going back to the 1890s.

Can you say "near abroad"?
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

The Stinger, I think it all began when Castro nationalized a lot of US property without payment. It got worse when he sided with the USSR, virtually making Cuba a Soviet forward base.

Today, I think Cuba still has to address the issue of compensation. That should be doable if both sides have good will. Since Cuba no longer threatens the US militarily, I think the only other outstdanding issue of substance has to be the issue of elections.

I personally think we should not make peace with the commies of Cuba until they allow elections for a legislature and for a president. If the Dems oppose this, I would like to understand why?
          http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Do you have diplomatic relations with them
            Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.

Comment

Today, I think Cuba still has to address the issue of compensation

Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

No.
                http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

If anybody thinks they're getting money for something that happened 47 years ago then they're dreaming.

Won't happen.
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

KH, I don't know why that would be a problem for Cuba if Uncle Sam "helped." For example, we could loan Cuba the money to pay its debts, and make that loan forgivable if they hold elections.

Comment

As the US don't support thr right of return of Pals to Israel how can they demand compo from something equally historical.

BTW can we be paid for the 13 colonies

Comment

Stinger, the ROR involves changing the demographics of Israel. Compensation to US citizens for expropriated property is entirely different in nature.

Comment

Originally posted by TheStinger
                          BTW can we be paid for the 13 colonies

But seriously, you don't think there is a difference between revolution and nationalization?
                          A thing either is what it appears to be; or it is not, but yet appears to be; or it is, but does not appear to be; or it is not, and does not appear to be.--Epictitus

Comment

Originally posted by senowen

But seriously, you don't think there is a difference between revolution and nationalization?
                            You dont think there was a revolucion in Cuba?
                            Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

DanS is right. There will be some jockeying for power, but the US is not totally against more normal relations. Sorry, but you all don't need to see that get played out for your benefit. And both sides will try to keep some leverage. There are issues like seized property from 1961 to deal with. At the end of the day, that will get washed under the dam, but there will be some method of fig leafing it over. Oh...and Cuba can do better then that for an olive branch for starters.

Now that the Cold War is over, normalizing relations makes sense. Before it did not, y'all "but we support the troops and are really strong on defense" *****-ass Democrat fellow travelers, sucking face with avowed communists on this board.

Comment

Originally posted by Ned
                                Today, I think Cuba still has to address the issue of compensation. That should be doable if both sides have good will.
                                Sure thing - right after you compensate the UK for assets seized during the American Revolution. There was the issue of some tea which was thrown in the harbour...
                                http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

Working...
                                X