Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pinochet in "serious" condition after heart attack.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pinochet in "serious" condition after heart attack.

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Chile's former military leader Augusto Pinochet is in a serious but stable condition after being operated on after a heart attack, doctors have said.

The 91-year-old needs a second intervention, state media has reported medics treating him as saying.

The former leader, who was put under house arrest a few days ago, is in a military hospital in Santiago.

Gen Pinochet was in power from 1973-90, during which time more than 3,000 people were killed or "disappeared".

He is accused of dozens of human rights violations but has never faced trial because of poor health.

Angioplasty procedure

He was taken to hospital early on Sunday morning after suffering "an acute" heart attack and a build-up of fluid on his lungs, a statement from the hospital said.

Doctors had carried out "procedures that rescued him virtually from death," Gen Pinochet's son, Marco Antonio Pinochet told reporters gathered outside the hospital.

"He's in a pretty serious state...We're in the hands of God and the doctors."

The former leader received the last rites from a Catholic priest, a family spokesman said.

One of the medical staff, Dr Juan Ignacio Vergara, said Gen Pinochet was in a stable condition but his life was not out of danger.

Gen Pinochet underwent angioplasty, a procedure designed to widen a narrowed or totally obstructed blood vessel, to stabilise his condition, he said.

Now, according to reports on Chilean state television, he needs a second operation, this time a heart by-pass.

'Political responsibility'

General Pinochet overthrew the elected government of the left-wing President Salvador Allende in 1973 in a bloody coup.

He was placed under house arrest earlier this week over the abduction of two people in 1973.

The charges relate to the Caravan of Death - a military operation to remove opponents to Gen Pinochet's rule.

He currently faces two other indictments - one for human rights abuses and another for tax evasion.

As a former president he enjoys legal immunity, but the courts can strip him of this privilege on a case-by-case basis.

On 25 November, his 91st birthday, Gen Pinochet issued a statement in which he took "political responsibility" for acts that took place under his rule, saying that he had believed they were in Chile's best interests.

He also alluded to his failing health.

"Today, close to the end of my days, I want to make clear that I hold no rancour toward anybody, that I love my country above all else," he said.

Gen Pinochet has been in ill health in recent years. He suffers from diabetes and arthritis, and has also had a number of suspected strokes.

The 9th circle of Hell is preparing for a new resident...

Too bad, seems he'll die without justice being done.
    Blah

Comment

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Yeah, just like Castro will.
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I Castro, he's the bomb.

Pinochet is still alive?
            Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Re: Pinochet in "serious" condition after heart attack.

Originally posted by Odin
              BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

The 9th circle of Hell is preparing for a new resident...

9th circle?

Arent there seven circles?

Shouldnt the most extreme circles be for guys who killed millions and ruined their countries, like Hitler?

Not someone who killed thousands, and left the country in decent shape. Maybe 6th circle?
              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Castro needs to BE bombed, you mean? Too late now. The geezer is dying anyway.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninot
                  I Castro, he's the bomb.
                  a dictator who left his country with pretty good social indicators. Like Pinochet was a dictator who left his country with good economics. Hopefully Castros successors will manage to keep the best of what hes done, and drop the worst, as Pinochets successors have done.

Comment

9th circle?

No.

Comment

Castro has left Cuba a piece of crap.
                      Prostitution is at a good level, if you want to count that as a positive. Hell of a way for your daughter or mother to help make ends meet.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                        9th circle?

No.
                        what the hell?

Comment

9, according to things like Dante's Inferno.

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                            what the hell?
                            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Indeed
                              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Working...
                              X