Using words of dominance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using words of dominance

Well, manipulation is the name of the game.

What I'd like to get from this thread is,well introduce a topic and hopefully someone gets some new ideas for themselves, but also to get few examples that I can't think of right now.

So let me give you the layout, I'm studying a bit of things that has to do with manipulation, that is, to get you do what I want (for example give me your password, or other kind of access).

Now that's a huge and wide field, but I'll focus on creating frameworks. What I mean by creating a framework is, that what the current studies show, we can't really make people do what they don't want to do, against their will. YES we can force them, but it will be against their natural will. However, you can create a framework for the person, to function in the boundaries of that framework you kind of.. superimpose, and you get your way.

The idea is to eliminate the option of personal desire. SO that the question 'what do I want' is simply not an issue. That is, we force you to think this way, so you will comply and think you did it because you wanted to, not against your will necessarily.

In other words, we force the settings in which the subject has to act in, but we don't force the subject directly, just the framework, so the desires or will of the subject is eliminated from the picture.

Example:

I will establish authority over the subject not necessarily via my position (because I might not have the position in real life), by claiming expertise over the issue. If I come to help fix the network that crashed, I'm establishing authority by expertise. I want access to certain areas, I'm the expert, the subject doesn't knwo about networks so he/she must comply in order for me to fix the network. Even though I might be ranking lower than the subject, I'm establishing authority.

Authority is important when getting people to comply. We know this trhough Milgram experiments and other studies, it's huge. You still remember the people who made the girl do jumping jacks naked in that fast food restaurant, because someone called over the phone and told they were cops and this is what they must do? Basically that was based on establishing authority, even faked one.

Now, this is pretty simple, but there are many examples of manipulating the framework for the subject to become compliant without "force".

It's always a word play. So, words of dominance. For example, this is a classic one: "You have two choices".

By claiming someone has two choices, you are establishing authority once again, even if you are not entiteld to it by rank or anything else. The subject might think that he/She has other options, but you can always argue that they have two choices and that's it. You do not have to explain yourself further.

Those two choices of course are in favor of you, both of them. Third option is not an option and by saying so, you are claiming your authority and force the other one to work within the framework you created.

Now, the subject is thinking about the choices. Which one is the least harmful to them? You gave options, so you are not unreasonable. You gave them freedom by giving options. In reality, you limited all options to favor you though.

But the "you have two options" is basically words of dominance and establishing authority through words.

What kind of other examples are there for similar effect?
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

tldr
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I'll have sex with you if...

"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

I think Arrian's sig about omelettes says something similar.

Comment

Hmm, interesting set up. Pretty basic 'reward if demand'.

You can play that of course with any words that works within the definition of this.. structure, maybe I should refine this framework a bit and think about this. Or 'punishment unless demand'. System of rewards and punishments, pretty much behaviorism but not so effective, unless the situation can be established well enough.
          Last edited by Pekka; December 3, 2006, 07:35.
          In da butt.
          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Whenever someone says to me "You have two choices..." they've lost my respect on the subject unless it's an actual dichotomy. Which it almost never is. A false dichotomy either means tunnel vision, or a lack of intellectual honesty. Neither of which is persuasive to me.

Words of "dominance" (persuasion) are going to vary from person to person, subject to subject. They can backfire on you if you don't take the person you are interacting with into account.

Comment

Obviously.

So, any ideas?
              In da butt.

Comment

I don't see what you're purpose is here. Just about anything could be (un)persuasive in the right context.

Comment

ok.
                  In da butt.

Comment

Working...
                  X