Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I hate websites with video on the front page that you can't switch off.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate websites with video on the front page that you can't switch off.

Like many people, I have a limited amount of download capacity on my ISP account.

It really annoys me to go to a site that then starts playing megabtyes of video at me that I haven't asked for, that I don't want, and I can't switch off.

Sometimes this will be ads - sometimes its 'editorial', but it just makes me stop visiting that site, which is a pity.

/rant

Can't you set your browser not to show them?
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I didn't see anything in the Firefox options to disable video - but that's not what I want anyway. I want to choose which video to watch, not toggle a global setting every time I want to see a video.

ISTR that rule one in my old HTML book was : don't hurl huge amounts of unwanted data at the user from the site's home page.

Comment

Flashblocker Firefox addon that permits you to selectively play flash - what it does is shows a Play icon on every flash element on the screen, and you just click it to play the flash. You can also selectively enable flash on certain websites automatically (without clicking).
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

This is standard video, and not "rich media?" I hate that stuff a lot more than video, since my ethernet connection's not too limited. I heard there was a rich media blocker for Firefox, but I haven't found it on their page. Oh well.
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
            Flashblocker Firefox addon that permits you to selectively play flash - what it does is shows a Play icon on every flash element on the screen, and you just click it to play the flash. You can also selectively enable flash on certain websites automatically (without clicking).
            Thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X