Chiron, here we come!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Elok
    So, the start and stop of the trip would effectively have normal Earth gravity for a little under a year, just on opposite surfaces of the ship? Fun.
    You can accelerate halfway if you like. Then turn the ship around and decelerate the last half. The entire trip gets done at 1 g (in the same direction relative to the ship orientation) except for a brief turnabout period.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Although that takes even MORE fuel ...

Perhaps they can send a refueling pod from Jupiter or something to meet them en route?
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
        Well then clearly we need ten of them on our hypothetical space ship

Adding engines means adding mass. The 0.1 g limitation would be in the limit that your spacecraft mass is composed entirely of ion engines. Adding more won't make it go faster than that.

Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I know That was why the "clearly" and the ...

/me reads enough REAL SF to know these things

Comment

By the way, Michael Flynn has a great series based on the OP's premise, give or take ... "Firestar", "Rogue Star", etc. Quite good.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
              Although that takes even MORE fuel ...

Perhaps they can send a refueling pod from Jupiter or something to meet them en route?
              That wouldn't really help. They pass Jupiter in 5 days at 1 g acceleration. 2 weeks at 0.1 g.
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Well, even at .1g acceleration, the trip could be made within a human lifetime. They really should start builing a small unmanned probe with ion engines and the capability to transmit info back
                "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                -Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

Obviously some form of protective gear must be developed to shield the colonists from the g-force, otherwise I think the start and stop part of the journey will take too long...

The above is a demonstration of why it's better to profess your ignorance (as Elok has done) rather than make bold, wrong assertions (particularly those which begin with a word like "obviously")

At a constant 1g proper acceleration, our hypothetical spaceship reaches 0.9c after ~312 days (Earth time). Slightly less proper time. If it then cuts out its engines and coasts it would fly past the Centaurus system in another 4 years or so (Earth time). ~ 1.8 years proper time. If it were to again decelerate and come to a stop in Centaurus the whole trip would take ~5.3 years (Earth time) or ~4 years (proper time)
                  Ouch! As they say it´s better to be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubts...
                  Last edited by Zoid; December 2, 2006, 17:21.
                  I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Originally posted by Zoid
                    Ouch! As they say it´s better to be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and reveal all doubts...
                    Yes, that's generally my strategery as well.
                    1011 1100
                    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Nitpicker
                      I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Remove not reveal (darn Elok beat me too it)

Anti-Matter would be cool if we actualy had a method of creating it at somthing less then a billion dollars a gram

I think the most likly means humans would leave the solar system would be som kind of nuclear fission or fusion based rocket combined with suspended animation (not suprizing just what was used in SMAC) Ofcorse this wont happen untill their has been considerable buildup of space infastructure and experience on planets such as mars and the moon. I'd guestimate another hundred years baring a major economic collapse or world war.
                        Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

Working...
                        X