Chiron, here we come!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chiron, here we come!!

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

But what´s so special about humanity? If we´re stupid enough to endanger ourselves to the point of extinction, should we really be saved?
    I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

I think it is a good idea, but not currently within our grasp. Communications could be a bit difficult though
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Actually scrap that, we colonised the US and look what a pain in the arse that has become
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Obviously we need to genetically engineer the colonists so they don´t get any inconvenient thoughts of independence and such...

Comment

How long would it take to accelerate to near the speed of light as mentioned without crushing the passengers into goo? I imagine it'd take a good while, and equally long decelerating at the destination. At least he's not talking about "warp drives," though.
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Steven hawking is a dork
            Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Obviously some form of protective gear must be developed to shield the colonists from the g-force, otherwise I think the start and stop part of the journey will take too long...

Comment

Inertial dampeners.
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
                  How long would it take to accelerate to near the speed of light as mentioned without crushing the passengers into goo? I imagine it'd take a good while, and equally long decelerating at the destination. At least he's not talking about "warp drives," though.
                  Obviously some form of protective gear must be developed to shield the colonists from the g-force, otherwise I think the start and stop part of the journey will take too long...

The above is a demonstration of why it's better to profess your ignorance (as Elok has done) rather than make bold, wrong assertions (particularly those which begin with a word like "obviously")

At a constant 1g proper acceleration, our hypothetical spaceship reaches 0.9c after ~312 days (Earth time). Slightly less proper time. If it then cuts out its engines and coasts it would fly past the Centaurus system in another 4 years or so (Earth time). ~ 1.8 years proper time. If it were to again decelerate and come to a stop in Centaurus the whole trip would take ~5.3 years (Earth time) or ~4 years (proper time)
                  Last edited by KrazyHorse; December 2, 2006, 13:20.
                  12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

How fast (in gees) can an object accelerate with current technology?
                    Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                    Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

So, the start and stop of the trip would effectively have normal Earth gravity for a little under a year, just on opposite surfaces of the ship? Fun.
                      1011 1100
                      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok

1G acceleration for about 350 days.

fuel consumption is the problem.

Comment

doh

Comment

fuel consumption is the problem.
                            True....
                            For example, a bullet can accelerate really fast.

IIRC, our fighter aircraft can pull a maximun 8 Gs.

Space vehicle lauches are about 3-4 Gs, but they don't take long.

Scientists are working on an ion engine for interplantary & interstellar travel. It can work for long periods because itt's very fuel efficient, but acceleteration will only be ~1/10 G.

Comment

Well then clearly we need ten of them on our hypothetical space ship
                              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Working...
                              X