Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got a new job!

Yeah baby, life is good!!!

The best part of it is that it was offered to me, so I didn't even apply for it. Also, it's happening within the Uni domain, so I get to study while doing it, I get research experience from it, I could prolly turn much of that into actual credits.. and I get paid doing it.

THey actually offered me this last week but the pay and duration of that job was too little so I couldn't take it. They doubled the pay and instead of few months gave me a one year option. Now I can _definitely_ live with that The pay isnt' still much, but it's very good money for me at this point, close to 2 grands a month, and I'm like studying. So they are kind of paying me to study and do something I'd prolly volunteer to do. So.. life is good .

When does it start? When I want to start it. So... I said I'm busy at the moment so I can't commit to this now fully, so they were like, well, let us know, but within the next semester the latest when you can start.

So I'm doing a research then, and it's great, because next year I'll start my thesis, so I will do my thesis with actual research experience, real experience, instead of reading about how to do one and then winging it. I'll be a crafty veteran then . Plus, they offered me continuation options as well, but I said I'll just finish this one first and let's get back to that after I'm done.

YEAAAaheahah!!11 WOooot, die poor people die. I can actually have money on my account, that is I can buy what ever I want as food (no more macaroni), I can party, I can buy something for myself, I can update my computer.. I can save some money.. **** this is great! So what about summer job? I don't have to look for one, because this is a one year thing . And I get credit for this job not only in the unit that measures how much you have studied, but also I get credited in the research. jesjes!

BOOOYAAAAA!!!!
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Good stuff, Pekka.

I'm happy too today, as we've got our mortgage application approved for the flat we're trying to buy. Things can still go wrong, but it's a major hurdle cleared.

Comment

Congrats to both Pekka and Cort
      You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Hey congrats Cort Haus Sometimes when it rains, it pours, but sometimes when things just happen the right way.. it's great. THe best is when you aren't even expecting anything. I treated them like **** when I got an offer the first time. And it's a sure thing, because my 'employer' is Uni. So it's like.. not like last summer when I had to watch my ass every second .

Beefing up the resume, PLUS IF I get a chance, which is realistic now, as I said, I'm in IT security field.. well this is hospital research, but if I can really get my ways, I might be able to do my thesis for the hospital. I mean, if it's not going to be a big multinatonal company, big hospital is still pretty good, yes? Plus, they actually have something they need to protect.

But my theory is yet again proving itself.. the less interested you are, just be focused but relax, just don't care.. things will come to you. Well in my case. Seems the less I try, the more I get. A good life lesson for children.

Definitely a great feeling, you know, not having to worry about food and income and stuff. First one for a looong time. Plus, it's great that YOU don't have to ask for **** from anyone. 'Can I please please come for an interview? PLLEEEAASE'. You are so used to creating your own breaks, because nothing comes to you unless you fight, but now you get these things that you don't even ask for... it's like they ask you if you'd be interested, if you could help.. that's awesome. And they are not undermining the pay either, like they usually do using students. Damn, I have a job and I didn't even ask for it.
        Last edited by Pekka; December 1, 2006, 09:28.
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
          But my theory is yet again proving itself.. the less interested you are, just be focused but relax, just don't care.. things will come to you. Well in my case. Seems the less I try, the more I get.
          I have found this with women at times. Many blokes adopt the pushy strategy, but I have had success with the 'hard-to-get' route. Trying too hard can look desperate and unnatractive, wheras being cool but not-quite-available can look attractive.

Also my current job landed on my lap, via a friend who saw an opening for me.

Life doesn't always works like this, of course, but it's great when it does.

Comment

Congrats, Pekka! Well done Cort.
            No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
            "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Cort, yeah.. well, let's hope this member entrance to the winner circle continues for few more times
              In da butt.

Comment

Congratulations to you both.

-Arrian
                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Congrats to both

Comment

You know what's even better, Pekka?

You get 1+ in the OT now and will probably be able to get a custom avatar before Christmas!
                    So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                    Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

So you are an assitant now?
                      Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

nice one pekka (and cort).
                        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Congrats, lads. Always nice to read some good news in the OT.
                          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Maccaroni and Cheese > Wine and Bree
                            Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

laurentius, research assistant.
                              In da butt.

Comment

Working...
                              X