Maliki is bucking for a bruise.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maliki is bucking for a bruise.

IMHO, Bush was humiliated. If he had any balls, he would pull the rug out from under Maliki. I can't imagine Bill Clinton taking this **** from anyone, let alone a dependent ally.

Surely, Bush is going to face hard questions from both his fellow Republicans and from Democrats over his weak behavior.

Today's New York Times.

AMMAN, Jordan, Nov. 29 — Prime Minister Nuri Kamal al-Maliki of Iraq and King Abdullah II of Jordan abruptly backed out of a meeting with President Bush on Wednesday, leaving the White House scrambling to explain why a carefully planned summit meeting had suddenly been cut from two days to one.

The Debate Over Iraq The decision occurred on a day that a classified White House memorandum expressing doubts about Mr. Maliki was disclosed and after Iraqi officials loyal to a powerful Shiite cleric said they were suspending participation in the Maliki government because he had ignored their request to cancel the Bush meeting entirely.

The president and Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice were already aboard Air Force One, on the way to Amman from Riga, Latvia, where they had been attending a NATO summit meeting, when they received the news by telephone from the United States ambassador to Iraq, Zalmay Khalilzad. The White House insisted Mr. Bush was not upset and had not been snubbed.

“Absolutely not,” said Dan Bartlett, counselor to the president.

With the Wednesday night meeting with the king canceled, Mr. Bush and Mr. Maliki still intend to have breakfast together here Thursday. A senior White House official said that after the king and Mr. Maliki had held a productive private meeting earlier in the day, they decided that a three-way session with Mr. Bush was not “the best use of time.”

The day’s events underscore the delicate task Mr. Bush and Mr. Maliki face as they head into Thursday’s meeting. As tensions rise in Iraq, friction has grown between the leaders, despite Mr. Bush’s insistence that he has faith in Mr. Maliki.

Each man is under pressure at home to extract concessions from the other. Mr. Maliki is facing demands from Mr. Sadr for the Iraqi government to wrest control of security forces from the Americans, and the boycott places more pressure on the prime minister to do just that.
    http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

We need to recognize what an ally is, is the problem.
    Clearly, this is not an ally.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

You need more allies like Pakistan and Saudi Arabia.
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Bush did it to himself. He was supposed to meet both of them yesterday but was to scared to meet the Iraqi leader since a memo was leaked from the administration where the administration pretty much attacked Mailiki. Reportedly Mailiki was upset about how the memo characterized him while Bush got cold feet and cancelled yesterdays meeting because he was afraid the Iraqi leader might ask him hard questions or embarrass Bush. **** Bush, he's an idiot who did this to himself.

That's just what happens when you elect retarded people. They act retarded.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I'm not going to say a word that would embarass you over that comment. Free pass.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Prime Minister Nuri Kamal al-Maliki of Iraq and King Abdullah II of Jordan abruptly backed out of a meeting with President Bush on Wednesday, leaving the White House scrambling to explain why a carefully planned summit meeting had suddenly been cut from two days to one.
            Waaaa. The lackey got uppity, did he? How DARE he.

-Arrian
            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

BTW the article in the OP doesn't have a link so it is of questionable origin.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Oerdin, in case you missed the point, Bush did not cancel the meeting, his subordinate did. That is mutiny.

Comment

NY Times... questionable alright!

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Ned
                      Oerdin, in case you missed the point, Bush did not cancel the meeting, his subordinate did. That is mutiny.
                      Subordinate?

-Arrian

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                        BTW the article in the OP doesn't have a link so it is of questionable origin.
                        It cites where and when the article could be found.

I rarely post links to articles which I have posted in full.
                        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian

Waaaa. The lackey got uppity, did he? How DARE he.

-Arrian
                          They've stopped shining Bush's shoes too. But this is a double standard at work, really. Bush didn't complain when Republicans across America distanced themselves from him. He's freaking poisonous to anyone's reputation at this point, and we all know it. Why is the right to avoid contaminating your good name restricted to Americans? Iraqis need the right more than we do; American pols only get voted out of office, whereas Iraqis tend to be found decapitated in a ditch several days later.
                          1011 1100
                          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

I wonder who leaked the memo and what they hoped to gain by doing so.
                            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Ned
                              Mutiny, eh? Arr, keel-haul the blaggard! If he won't obey his skipper let him go to Davey Jones!
                              1011 1100
                              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Working...
                              X