No announcement yet.

This Wonderful Market!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unfortunately, some global index funds have high management fees as well. The China ETF that I referenced above has about 0.75% per annum fees. Appalling.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

That's ridiculously high. If I'm not mistaken, however, ETFs generally charge higher annual fees than traditional index funds, but charge less in transaction fees.

What's the Vanguard S&P at? Like 0.1% or something?
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Actively-managed mutual funds are the biggest scam operating in the market today.
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

India's main index stocks are overpriced right now. Whether this will dampen the buying frenzy remains to be seen.
          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
          AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
          AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
          DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
            Actively-managed mutual funds are the biggest scam operating in the market today.
            Well, not the biggest scams. But I note that even cash funds are charging 1.25% per annum in fees nowadays.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Looked it up. The Vanguard 500 is 0.18% per annum. Not to mention the capital gains tax savings from less-active funds...
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                US economy is headed for a slowdown. Commodity prices have already dropped somewhat, but will probably drop more. India's overpriced due to a ridiculous runup over the last few years.

seems like the perfect opportunity to buy solid companies while people are undervaluing stocks and anticipating slowdown, unless you think thats already worked into the price ( i dont).

i dont know ifid even feel comfortable buying overseas companies based in ndia or china. im a small fry right now and it just seems loaded with unnecessary risk for reward. for instance what are company regulations like in china and india? is the gov propping up bad companies? etc etc.
                "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

More important than the economic growth slowing down is that profits should be going south any day now.

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144

seems like the perfect opportunity to buy solid companies while people are undervaluing stocks and anticipating slowdown, unless you think thats already worked into the price ( i dont).
                    What the heck are you talking about; the S&P 500 is at its highest point since the dotcom bubble.
                    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

I begin to see why he lost his shirt at poker.
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                        More important than the economic growth slowing down is that profits should be going south any day now.
                        There's a bit of a buffer since the P/E is fairly low.
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

i didnt say any company...strong ones on main street with good fundamentals. thie fAct that the s&p is at an all time high means that if it goes down as people unload stock they will be leaving at a discount to a buyer.

and if you have conviction the market is going down why arent you advocating shorting anything? wouldnt pulling out into cash man youre just waiting again for the market to scrape bottom?

anyway keep pointing out why im wrong as this is helpful to my learning. jut dont be too condesending, if thats possible, please. kh.

this is like a soft landing
                          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Saras

makes his living doing this stuff and I used to (I now make much more money now though). Our advice is also amazingly similar and very simple. Do you think this is a coincidence?
                            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

I read Amy Tan's memoir, "The Opposite of Fate," this semester for a class. In it, she mentions how her extremely superstitious and rather nutty mother had her use a Ouija board (sp?) to ask the ghosts of their ancestors for stock tips. As little adolescent Amy had tried to tell her mother many times, she had never seen ghosts and had no contact with the spirit plane or whatever, but since her mom wouldn't listen she just made the answers up. The family subsequently made a killing in the market based on her advice...which is why, frankly, I'd rather play poker when I gamble. Or even the lottery.
                              1011 1100
                              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
                                The family subsequently made a killing in the market based on her advice...which is why, frankly, I'd rather play poker when I gamble. Or even the lottery.
                                Is that the only reason why? Because someone made alot of money being lucky?
                                THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                                AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                                AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                                DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Working...
                                X