Doctors suspect former Russian prime minister poisoned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doctors suspect former Russian prime minister poisoned

I think it's too soon to called it a poisoning.... But anyway, maybe it will help us in our task to keep Serb from going away!

========

Doctors suspect former Russian prime minister poisoned

November 30, 2006 - 3:13PM

Doctors treating former Russian prime minister Yegor Gaidar in a Moscow hospital have said he was probably poisoned, a Russian newspaper reported today, amid speculation that the case might be linked to the deaths of a Russian ex-spy and a top journalist.

"The doctors are leaning towards the conclusion that all the symptoms ... point specifically to poisoning," Gaidar's daughter Maria told the Kommersant newspaper.

The doctors will make their final diagnosis tomorrow, with "a poison unknown to civilian medicine" the most likely cause of his illness, she said.

Mr Gaidar was in satisfactory condition late yesterday but "there was a serious threat to his life" after he fell ill on November 24 in Ireland, where he had been attending a conference, his daughter said on NTV television.

His illness came one day after the death in London of former Russian secret services agent Alexander Litvinenko, who was poisoned by a rare radioactive substance in an incident that Litvinenko himself blamed on President Vladimir Putin. The Kremlin has rejected the charges.

Mr Putin telephoned Mr Gaidar to wish him a quick recovery, London's Financial Times reported today, citing the Kremlin.

Anatoly Chubais, the influential head of Russia's state electricity company and a longtime associate of Mr Gaidar, connected the former prime minister's illness with Litvinenko's death and the recent murder of journalist Anna Politkovskaya, suggesting the Kremlin's enemies were behind all three.

"This deadly design would have been extremely attractive for those supporting unconstitutional, violent means of changing power in Russia," Mr Chubais said.

Ultra-nationalist parliament deputy Vladimir Zhirinovsky blamed Mr Gaidar's condition on foreign powers attempting "to destabilise the situation or create an atmosphere of suspicion" in the run-up to Russia's 2007 parliamentary elections, RIA Novosti reported.

Mr Gaidar fell ill after eating breakfast where he was staying outside Dublin, he told the Financial Times.

The former prime minister managed to answer questions about his book, The Death of the Empire: Lessons for Contemporary Russia, in an appearance at the National University of Ireland, Maynooth, before he had to be hospitalised.

He was transferred to a Moscow hospital on Sunday.

"We are concerned by the very fact of the poisoning and would not like to make premature conclusions," said opposition politician Leonid Gozman, one of the leaders of the liberal Union of Right Forces Party, of which Mr Gaidar was a co-founder.

As Russia's first post-Soviet prime minister, Gaidar was a chief architect of reforms known as "shock therapy", which helped transform the communist economy but which are widely blamed in Russia for capital flight and a 1998 economic collapse.

Utilities chief Mr Chubais, who also helped organise the reforms, survived an assassination attempt in 2005.

Mr Gaidar now heads an economic think tank in Moscow that frequently criticises Mr Putin's policy of increasing state control over the economy.

AFP
    bleh

Shame there are no Russian patriots here to defend Putin from absurd accusations.
    Unbelievable!

Comment

They already used poisoning this month... lame
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Yeah, they could have at least disemboweled him with a shashka or something...
        Unbelievable!

Comment

putin posioning all of his political rivals.

(That's for Serb so he doesn't feel so bad about leaving. )
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Doctors treating former Russian prime minister Yegor Gaidar
            Haha! Gai-dar! Gaydar! Haha!
            B♭3

Comment

Putin is the Lucrecia Borgia of the XXI century
              I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by Brachy-Pride
                Putin is the Lucrecia Borgia of the XXI century
                ??? You`re sure...

You didn't meant Cesar? Lucretia was the sister of Cesar Borgia.
                bleh

Comment

I'm looking over wiki: according to them, Lucrecia was known as a poisoners...
                  So you're right! Putin is a kind of Lucrecia Borgia.
                  bleh

Comment

Whatever Putin does is correct.
                    etc etc
                    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Haha! Gai-dar! Gaydar! Haha!

hey **** you. I wanted to make this joke.

urgh.NSFW

Comment

I guess at this point, the only question is, Who's next?
                        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I shouldn't have argued with Serb
                          On the bright side, Teh Evil Twins of Poland argue with Putin a lot
                          "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                          I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                          Middle East!

Comment

since serb aint here let me make his case

1. Gaydar ISNT a strong opponent of Putin, hes criticized some policies, but not gone mucking about wrt Chechnya like these other folks

2. Poisoning isnt proven yet.

3. Gaydar is just one of those lousy neoliberals who screwed up Russia in the early Yeltsin years

The last point is red herring, and I dont even think its 100% true, but Im sure Serb and folks like him are sayihg it now.

The first two points stand though, at least for now. Though things ARE looking fishy.
                            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Heresson
                              I shouldn't have argued with Serb
                              On the bright side, Teh Evil Twins of Poland argue with Putin a lot
                              Poland has the privilege of being the only country in the world ruled by hobbits and you treat them like that!
                              I need a foot massage

Comment

Working...
                              X