No announcement yet.

Grapefruit and Janissaries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if your workmen have upset you, give them pink grapefruit cordial instead of tea
    Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Jon, check your spelling. No one is going to disagree with you as you have it written.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
        I love grapefruit juice. The sour stuff, not the sweat stuff.
        Urgh! You drink sweaty grapefruit juice. What do you do, scrape your armpit juice into it?

Comment

Too late.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Not another Pourn thread.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
              Too late.
              Doh!

Must. Read. Entire. Thread. Before. Quipping.

Comment

I meant, you busted him

Comment

Seriously now : I like grapefruit and its juice, but I don't eat sweets so can't comment on that, but I do recall that many fruit flavours do not 'port' very well to sweets. Orange juice is my staple though, I drink litres of the stuff. I prefer tinned grapefruit to fresh, as it actually seems fresher than fruits that have been sitting around for however long. There's more juice (I love vitamin C) and most importantly, it doesn't squirt into your eye and down your shirt when you put the spoon in.

Janissaries : I though these guys were specific to the Ottoman Empire - kids removed from the subject peoples and trained up to be sent back as quisling leaders.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                    I meant, you busted him
                    Ah, I thought you meant that you'd beaten me too it. You're way too nice, Sloww - trying to rescue him like that.

* Still narked with Jon over the Douggie Adams debate

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
                      Janissaries : I though these guys were specific to the Ottoman Empire - kids removed from the subject peoples and trained up to be sent back as quisling leaders.
                      In the books, the term refers to humans bred by aliens for loyalty and used as civil servants to run their empire. In addition, debatably, to the humans abducted and forced to grow drugs--hahaha, oh man, I knew I couldn't explain the premise with a straight face!
                      1011 1100
                      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
                        Not so much Quislings as Imperial functionaries and an elite corps of soldiers. Besides that, though, you've got it. They weren't taken from subject peoples so that they would be more acceptable to those subjects as leaders; rather, they were taken from subject peoples because, as outsiders to the political establishment of the Porte brought into the service of the Sutan at a young age, they were far more trustworthy and reliable than possibly scheming and corrupt "native" Ottoman functionaries, officers, and advisors.

Edit: I also enjoy grapefruit
                        Last edited by Cyclotron; November 30, 2006, 16:20.
                        Lime roots and treachery!
                        "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Grapefruit is nasty. But my father loves it

Janissaries absolutely rock in Age of Empires II. They're the reason I always play as the Turks .
                          Only the evil Rosbifs can possibly annoy my mighty janissary army
                          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Seriously off-topic, but I liked the Chinese and their Chu Ko Nu myself. Given the low price and their rate of fire, you could buy a group of a dozen or so and nothing would ever touch them short of a siege weapon. Even a bloody war elephant would go down under the continuous rain of arrows; assuming its armor was maxed and the CKNs' attack wasn't, and thus each hit did one damage, that's still about sixty damage in two or three seconds, followed by another and another and another...against things that weren't armored they were even more brutal.
                            1011 1100
                            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Grapefruit soda pop = Squirt

Grapefruit is good...but you need SUGAR.

Dr. Pournelle is a great pulp fiction writer. I haven't read his Janisaires, but I did like his John Christian Falkenberg books...especially the one where his regiment shot up the constitutional convention damned left-wing wackos deserved it!

Comment

Well, my startegy was to make a square of priests. And all around them, a square of janissaries, with a few cannons behind for good measure.

My janissaries were ordered to hold position, meaning that they'd always be within range of the priests. And since there were many priests, my janissaries were basically immortal. At the same time, they packed a huge punch and shot very precisely, at an acceptable rate to boot.

The only thing that threatened me were those ****ing Rosbif longbowmen Only unit in the game that had a longer range than my janissaries (most ranged units had an identical range). Meaning that I had either to toggle off the "hold position" (which weakened me greatly), or to micromanage the execution of those little twerps

Needless to say, the English were so annoying that I made a point of exterminating them to the last whenever I faced them
                                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Working...
                                X