Removing an HD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing an HD

I just bought a new HD, now I have total of 4.
    C: 20GB
    D: 4GB really old HD
    E: 80GB
    Q: 160GB new HD

I wanted to remove D: because I don´t have enough space in the case for 4 disks and D: is too old anyway.

Unfortunately when I do that Windows refuses to boot, if I try to do it from C: it says that it can´t find "system root" halsomething.dll, if I try to do it from E: it says that ntldr.dll is missing (but without "system root") and of course both files are in E: ...if I put D: back the system runs fine.

How do I do this without reinstalling WindowsXP?

Screenshoot of drives and partitions, some of them are no longer needed since the content will be moved to the new drive but I have no problems doing that, it´s the boot thing that I can´t fix
    I tried setting E: as active but that didn´t seem to do anything.

Translation:
    C: System (But I installed WinXP in E )
    E: Start
    Correcto: Correct

The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power.

Join Eventis, the land of spam and unspeakable horrors!

Bring on the disco fever!
    Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

How about if you clone D: to Q: then take out D: and set Q: as D:?

Comment

That´s not a bad idea, it might work I´ll give it a try

If someone has some other idea please post

Bring on the disco fever!
        The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power.

Comment

160GB isn't very big. This thing is as old as the ark now but has a 160GB HD...
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I suggest that you:

1. Rename D: to some unused letter.
            2. Rename Q: to D:.

Power off the system and remove the "old" D: drive. Now power back on and see what happens.

(This assumes that you don't need any of the data on the old D: drive. If you do, copy it to Q: as suggested by Aeson.)

My guess is that when you remove the D: drive, the system is renaming E: to D:, causing the problems.

By the way, in the world of Microsoft, the "System" drive is the one from which the computer boots, and the "Boot" drive is the one containing the system files. Makes no sense, but always used to come up on the certification exams!

Petek
            "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
            -- Kosh

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
              160GB isn't very big. This thing is as old as the ark now but has a 160GB HD...
              No, but I needed a new bigger drive to retire the old ones and to prepare for when I buy a new computer in a month or two

I suggest that you:

1. Rename D: to some unused letter.
              2. Rename Q: to D:.

Power off the system and remove the "old" D: drive. Now power back on and see what happens.

(This assumes that you don't need any of the data on the old D: drive. If you do, copy it to Q: as suggested by Aeson.)

My guess is that when you remove the D: drive, the system is renaming E: to D:, causing the problems.

By the way, in the world of Microsoft, the "System" drive is the one from which the computer boots, and the "Boot" drive is the one containing the system files. Makes no sense, but always used to come up on the certification exams!

Petek
              I´m about to do that , if I don´t return is because it didn´t work

Comment

I returned but it didn´t work

Comment

You could have reinstalled, or even formatted by now.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Nah, It was a very simple problem with a very simple solution ... it was the boot.ini causing the problem, I didn´t know that the IDE drives are listed before the sata drives... by removing D: I changed the disks order and windows couldn´t find the right disk where it was installed. All I had to do was change:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
                    to

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
                    And now it works

Comment

Working...
                    X