Seattle Shuts Down!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seattle Shuts Down!

Less than an Inch, 1 inch of snow and most downton businesses are closed, most every business outside of downton is closed. this is terrible. seattle is such a 3rd rate hamlet that i want to find a new job away from here.
    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

You already have Snow?
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

we rarely get snow but this is ****ing absurd that we have less than an inch and everything is sut down. I am perpetually annoyed by the innability of seattle to do anything concerning weather.
      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

BUT, Seattleite's can cope with rain like no other city.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

That's just a west coast thing. Vancouver's shut down from the same storm (though it sounds like Van got it worse). It's just that snow and ice are so infrequent, it doesn't make sense to invest in alot of equipment to clear the roads, and obviously people aren't used to driving in it. Throw in a good number of hills and it makes traffic a mess. The good news is that being the Pacific Northwest, all the snow will be gone in a few days.
          "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
          "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
          "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki
            That's just a west coast thing. Vancouver's shut down from the same storm (though it sounds like Van got it worse). It's just that snow and ice are so infrequent, it doesn't make sense to invest in alot of equipment to clear the roads, and obviously people aren't used to driving in it. Throw in a good number of hills and it makes traffic a mess. The good news is that being the Pacific Northwest, all the snow will be gone in a few days.
            If BC wasn't paying billions of dollars for Ferries that just sit and rust, perhaps they could afford some graders to clear the snow.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

1 inch and the city is closed?

wusses
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST
                You already have Snow?
                We had our first storm about a month ago.
                "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                  1 inch and the city is closed?

wusses
                  THATS WHAT IM SAYING!

Comment

Even Dallas, Texas doesn't shut down in 1 inch of snow!

Comment

Dallas doesn't have the hills Seattle does.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

and yet Americans manage to live in places like Buffalo and Pittsburgh, where snow is measured by the foot...
                        Visit First Cultural Industries
                        There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                        Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Yes, and again places where snow is very common and hence the city has the equipment to deal with it and drivers are used to it.
                          "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki
                            Yes, and again places where snow is very common and hence the city has the equipment to deal with it and drivers are used to it.
                            This is key. An inch of snow left on the road will cause problems for drivers not used to snow driving.
                            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Sometimes it's even worse with less snow, especially given the relatively mild climate of the west coast. I've driven in Vancouver in numerous situations where it's snowed a little, but it's barely below zero. The snow on the road starts to melt from the traffic, and then refreezes into a sheet of ice. Put that onto a hill and it's not a pretty sight.

Comment

Working...
                              X