No announcement yet.

"Member nations must accept difficult assignments"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's not what you said, nor what I quoted.

Comment

• Don't have a source, just a hunch.

All records show Canada asking for help in the way of additional troops several times, but Germany has declined. Do you have any proof that such a thing did not happen? That would be hard to do considering all of the press over the past year of Canada asking for more troops to help from NATO.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher
        Don't have a source, just a hunch.
        So you're just slinging mud around and hope that it sticks...

All records show Canada asking for help in the way of additional troops several times, but Germany has declined. Do you have any proof that such a thing did not happen? That would be hard to do considering all of the press over the past year of Canada asking for more troops to help from NATO.
        Every commander in Afghanistan wants more troops - even the German one. That's not what I said. I said that German troops already present in Afghanistan can be deployed in the south, but so far no request was made.

Comment

• Can you provide a refutation for that? A British MP says otherwise.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Its funny how many people here think that a peacekeeping mission is all about killing Taleban and not building roads and schools.
            Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

• Um. It's not a peacekeeping mission yet.

It's a conflict.

I guess here lies the disconnnect...the dumb Euros think there's no fighting left.

Does this look like a Peacekeeping mission to you? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Medusa

Comment

Um. It's not a peacekeeping mission yet.

It's a conflict.

I guess here lies the disconnnect...the dumb Euros think there's no fighting left.

Does this look like a Peacekeeping mission to you? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Medusa
                Where did I say there was no fighting left? Why do you think peacekeepers have assault rifles and armored vehicles?

Dumb North Americans think its real life Halo.

- Paul Valery

Comment

• It's not a peacekeeping mission yet. There is a huge difference. I suggest you learn it.

Comment

• Yeah because its a "conflict"

- Paul Valery

Comment

• In order to "keep" peace you need to have it.

Comment

Can you provide a refutation for that? A British MP says otherwise.
                        Sure.

The Germans were also criticized at a meeting of NATO parliamentarians in Quebec, Canada last Thursday. In a debate over national caveats -- limits imposed by some countries on what their soldiers in Afghanistan can be asked to do -- Bruce George, the chairman of the defense committee in Britain's House of Commons, and Labour MP Frank Cook vented their anger against the German allies. Some drink tea and beer, while others risk their lives, George fumed.

Cook told the group about of an incident in which, during "Operation Medusa," the ISAF commander-in-chief requested assistance for the beleaguered Canadians. "Five nations refused," he said indignantly, while at first declining to name the five. But then he described the specifics of the incident. According to Cook, a German commander said that although there were soldiers available under his command, Berlin had refused to authorize their deployment. Twelve Canadian soldiers, Cook said, were then killed in the operation in Afghanistan's Panjwai District.

The German government was quick to rebuff the accusations on Friday, with the defense ministry insisting that "such a request was never issued."
                        Link

And here's a list with entire articles rebuffing MP Cooks claim, unfortunately all in German. Apparently the English-speaking press isn't too eager to correct this false report:

Accusation of failure to render assistance baseless

Federal Government rebuffs accusation of failure to render assistance

Accusation of failure to render assistance apparently baseless

Comment

• The Germans have agreed to be useful elsewhere in Afghanistan in case of 'emergency'.

The local commander makes the determination and can still be overruled by German (or French, or Italian) officials. If they agree it is an emergency they might help.

NATO is a useless organization. The first time it is 'tested' in combat many member states want to pick and choose the safe jobs.
                          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Um. It's not a peacekeeping mission yet.

It's a conflict.

why do you keep referring to euros when the UK and the Dutch are invloved in as much fighting as the Canadians.
                            '
                            Do you accept that when we talk about "americans" it should include Canada
                            Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                            Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

• Is UK actually part of Europe or do they just like to pretend they are?

And the Dutch are just funny people.

Comment

While it is true that Canada controls Southern Afghanistan, .
                                to correct, Canadian troops are responsible for kandhar prov, while Dutch, UK and US troops are responsible for other provinces in the south.
                                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Working...
                                X