Wal-Mart starts exploring the origins of Hindu civilization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wal-Mart starts exploring the origins of Hindu civilization

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Wal-Mart to enter Indian market

US supermarket giant Wal-Mart is to enter the Indian retail market after announcing a joint agreement with India's Bharti Enterprises.

The two companies said they had signed a deal to "jointly explore business opportunities" in India.

Bharti chairman Sunil Mittal said the two companies intended to open "several hundred" stores across India under the Wal-Mart brand name.

Wal-Mart's deal comes after Britain's Tesco ended talks with Bharti.

Tesco had hoped to reach a similar deal with Bharti, but its negotiations ended without agreement last week.

Bharti had also spoken with France's Carrefour and Germany's Metro, according to reports.

Fast-growing market

The Bharti joint venture is a huge opportunity for Wal-Mart to gain a foothold in a market analysts expect will double in value to $637bn (£330bn) by 2015.

"Wal-Mart was keen to get into India. I think they have chosen the right partner," said Mr Mittal.

"It is going to be a large investment, we are going to be a big player in this market."

Large overseas retailers such as Tesco and Wal-Mart are currently barred at the retail level in India, but not in the wholesale market.

Mr Mittal said the deal with Wal-Mart complied with existing government rules, suggesting Wal-Mart will handle the supply side of the operation, while Bharti will run the stores.

Bharti is a well-known brand in India, offering mobile phone services to more than 24 million users.
    I wonder if this will be as successful as W-M's intermezzo in Germany was though.....
    Blah

India is still extremely protectionist.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

An so it begins. . .or ends.
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
        India is still extremely protectionist.
        India will get over it as it realises that it can start exploiting the West through capitalism, instead of the other way around
        Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
        Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar

India will get over it as it realises that it can start exploiting the West through capitalism, instead of the other way around
          It wouldn't be capitalism, then. It's only captialism when the west benefits.
          Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
            An so it begins. . .or ends.
            Or continues...
            Blah

Comment

I originally read it as "Walmart starts exploiting the origins of Hindu civilisation."

-Arrian
              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Wal-mart giving support to aryan invasion theory
                I need a foot massage

Comment

Great news

Wal-mart
                  THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                  AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                  AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                  DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Don't you watch Family Guy in India? Bigmegasupermarts are evil!
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
                      Bigmegasupermarts are evil!
                      Are you kidding? It's an Indian idea!

Don't you know Mr. Bighmahasuprmarahti?
                      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Oh noes! Wal-Mart is metastasizing.

Comment

Working...
                        X