Career Advices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Career Advices

I need some. For some weird reason, I don't put too much weight on the advices I get in school. THere's always an agenda behind the advice it seems like. Or it is restricted, the idea is restricted within the framework of our society. I don't like that because a) I see my career being dynamic and changing b) I can't be bothered to limit myself while I do commit c) I definitely see myself going abroad, in fact I'd like to experience that ASAP, because later on, if I get family and stuff, well I have other responsibilities and changing locations like that isn't just that simple. So for now, I'd like to get in as much as possible, make my dreams come true. I'm not those who wait, I want to do. I've waited for a long time now, and now I'm starting to get on my feet so I can have the opportunities to do what I want, so it's time to execute. Now. Not tomorrow, but now.

So I've been driven by my 'mentor' to do this.. very spesific kind of analysis work on different things, it's a shame it's not what I REALLY want to do. Because I'm getting all the opportunities. She even got me a job. Yeah. She got me a job if I want to take it. It's a job that many would want, so I feel stupid because I'm not that interested in it. The job would entail the analysis work I'm doing now for the research I'm assisting in. It's cross medical and information systems field. However, the analysis part I'm doing is interesting to me so I'm happy with that, because I get to profile people with the latest technology, and this kind of things are very new, only few people do it and it's pretty interesting.

OK but my field is IT security. So I want to explore that, I'm doing my papers on it, I'm preparing to do my thesis on it. It's going so good, that I've gotten lots of good feedback. In fact it's going so that there's been some suggestions I might want to continue and research more on the topic I'm in and go for the PhD. This is my passion, this topic and field.

The company I've worked for in the past, I had my plan to work there, do my thesis for them, work for them after that for some while. That was my plan for the longest time, two years to be exact. I pitched my idea last summer, and it is still in the air. The people who decide it have asked me to wait few more months, and that they could decide before the summer. Well, that's just too long for me, I can't wait a YEAR for an answer. They know the topic, it's very sensitive, so they like it but they are like we have to clear these policies out etc etc.. all kinds of crap.

I'm getting tired, so I've thought about pitching my thesis for other companies in the meanwhile. It's like, hey, you guys had so many months to pick this up and I suggested it many times, I think my loyalty is not on stake if I start pitching this to others at this point. Because if I don't get this thesis done for a respectable company where there might be some future in it for me, I'll take up the other field, medical stuff, and I was offered a thesis spot in that already, in fact I could do it freely, roaming and figuring out my interest and trhen do it.

I want to ride this thing out first though and that's my back up.

So, suggest me ways to go with this pitching? Should I ptich my idea to all the companies I want to work for simultaniously or one by one?

Also list multinationals that are respected and could use my expertise, my field is IT security and basically.. it's not penetration testing but it's about 'ethical hacking' and techniques in that. So I could do consulting, risk assesment, part of risk management.. but for the thesis, I would conduct a research on a very spesific topic on hacking, but from the perspective of the company. I'm studying the problem of that technique/strategy, and what it means, and how one might possibly defend against that in a good manner.

So far I've been thinking the big companies like IBM, but also consulting places like Ernst & Young, PricewaterhouseCoopers and KPMG.

SUggestions?
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

I'd need to know more about the origins of Hindu civilization before I anwser that question.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

They're crap. Next question?
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Ok, I'm a big multi-national company that has just recieved your proposal: "Trash. Oh yeah, 3 points! Hey Johnson! Did you see that? Right from my desk! Nothing but net, man! Nothing but net!"

My point is, for what you want to do with this IT stuff, will basically require starting from the bottom and working your way up. The only way to get in these big companies from the top, is to have words like Harvard or Yale in the Education section of your resume. However, it probably wouldn't hurt to try.

For the most part, I say follow your dream for IT security. Be prepared to take risks and make sacrifices. Be prepared for hard times. Be prepared for it all to pay off. Also, try not to let other things distract you. The medical stuff isn't what is dangerous, it's the desire to travel that will distract you the most. Having focuesed goals will benefit you immensely. Good luck.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
          My point is, for what you want to do with this IT stuff, will basically require starting from the bottom and working your way up.

Comment

wtf are you talking about? I'm pitching thesis spot, not actually applying for a job. Plus, for this one company I have been pitching, I have worked there in my past and know the managers etc.

The thing is, I'm trying to get ideas on pitching the thesis spot. If you mean to say 'work from bottom up' when it comes to this, then we have cultural differencies. You can pitch your thesis to anyone and this is how you get those spots.

This is the freaking bottom
            In da butt.

Comment

wtf pekka?

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                wtf pekka?

JM
                Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

pekka, sometimes you have to realize that to get where you want to go, you have to take paths that are undesireable and seem to lead in the oppisite direction of where you want to go.
                  "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                  'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

OK if you guys don't want to read the OP, answering is of no point.

I'm asking how I should pitch my thesis to people, should I continue doing it one by one or multiple pitches, and perhaps suggestions of different entities I sohuld pitch to, if I'm missing some.

This is fairly simple.

Save me the 'I started as a cleaner', this just simply does not relate to this topic at all.
                    In da butt.

Comment

get asher to make the pitch. there.
                      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

That wasn't my point either Though, that would be a great idea if he was working for IBM Finland. So, as a strategy of getting what you want, which is of course what I'm after, that would be a sweet play. But.. he doesn't work in this country, and I suspect his job isn't so high up it would make sense.. I mean of course not high enough YET.

I'd like to discuss the pros and cons of single vs. multiple pitches...
                        In da butt.

Comment

To be more obvious, I'm not looking for an entry level job here, or professional level. I'm looking for a company to do my thesis for. This is a common practice in here. After that, I graduate, and then I can look for that entry job in the field.
                          In da butt.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                            That wasn't my point either Though, that would be a great idea if he was working for IBM Finland. So, as a strategy of getting what you want, which is of course what I'm after, that would be a sweet play. But.. he doesn't work in this country, and I suspect his job isn't so high up it would make sense.. I mean of course not high enough YET.

I'd like to discuss the pros and cons of single vs. multiple pitches...
                            I don't work for IBM at all anymore.

In fact I've aligned myself with Microsoft.
                            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

figures
                              Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

Working...
                              X