Fat studies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fat studies?

Even as science, medicine and government have defined obesity as a threat to the nation’s health and treasury, fat studies is emerging as a new interdisciplinary area of study on campuses across the country and is gaining interest in Australia and Britain. Nestled within the humanities and social sciences fields, fat studies explores the social and political consequences of being fat.

For most scholars of fat, though, it is not an objective pursuit. Proponents of fat studies see it as the sister subject — and it is most often women promoting the study, many of whom are lesbian activists — to women’s studies, queer studies, disability studies and ethnic studies. In many of its permutations, then, it is the study of a people its supporters believe are victims of prejudice, stereotypes and oppression by mainstream society.

“It’s about a dominant culture’s ideals of what a real person should be,” said Stefanie Snider, 29, a graduate student at the University of Southern California, whose dissertation will be on the intersection of queer and fat identities in the United States in the 20th century. “And whether that has to do with skin color or heritage or sexual orientation or ability, it ends up being similar in a lot of ways.”

Seriously, WTF is this? Women's studies, queer studies, disability studies, etc. are already ridiculous enough, but this is just unbelievable. I mean, seriously, fat studies? Christ, this makes me ashamed to have gone to college...
    Legit
    9.52%
    Bullshit
    76.19%
    I'm going to go eat another banana split...
    14.29%
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

I have no problem with women's studies, studies of various sexual groups ... disability/fat studies in the medical sense, fine, in a sociological sense, simply not a large enough subject. Ultimately we need to stop breaking down sociology so much - sociology is useful largely in the applicability to and interaction with other societal aspects, so you shouldn't study only a small part of society.
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

simply not a large enough subject
      Well, I would think that fat studies would be a pretty large subject...
      Lime roots and treachery!
      "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

The government gives grants for studies of all kinds of weird bull****.

"Following 3 years of study, it has been concluded that an apple falling from a tree will hit the ground."
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Re: Fat studies?

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
          ... this makes me ashamed to have gone to college...
          I'm sure they were even more ashamed to have you.

Comment

Women were treated as useless beings since the beginning of time until Emancipation. FACT.
            Fat people were treated as useless beings that were eaten alive during famine, while today they´re actually trying to convince us that being fat is something you should live with, instead of practising a little and stop whining about it. FACT.
            I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Datajack Franit
              ...Fat people were treated as useless beings that were eaten alive during famine ...
              Alive?!? Wouldn't all the thrashing about and screaming interferred with the diners' enjoyment of their meal??

Comment

I don't see why looking at social implications of obesity are any more/less important than looking at social implications in other areas. In the US, it's one of the more prevailent social stigmas. Better understanding the social dynamics involved, especially the ones that lead to or reinforce weight gain, could have rather a rather large impact on our productivity and health (mental and physical) as a nation.

Comment

I'm not fond of droolers.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Have any of you read the OP?

"Fat Studies" does not refer to doing studies of fat people. Fat Studies refers to having a field in sociology called "Fat Studies" - ie a major for a college student, classes, etc.

The social implications of a lot of things are important to study, but I don't see how obesity deserves classification on the level of gender studies, which to my opinion as a group (womens, mens, GLBT) is the only 'studies' really big enough to deserve its own seperate branch of the field.
                    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

So? I'm still not fond of droolers, and the government still gives weirdass grants.
                      I'm in the clear.

Comment

Yes, I read the OP. If there is an area worth studying, having those who specialize in those studies is worthwhile as well.

The number of overweight people in the US has already overtaken the number of men or women as a group, and obesity affects almost a third of the population. How can an issue that affects the health and happiness of more than half the population be "too small" an area?

Comment

It can be a "too stupid" area
                          I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

If it were "too stupid" then the problem wouldn't exist to such a large extent. We'd have already figured out how to solve it.

While we have answers on the individual level which are rather obvious, such as "eat less, exersize more", as well as some genetic explainations, we have failed miserably at using that information to effect a positive change in our society in regards to health and weight. Why that is so, and how we can change that are not easy questions to answer...

Comment

never mind
                              When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
                              "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
                              Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

Working...
                              X