Portable GPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portable GPS

Heya... anyone have experience with portable GPS solutions, like Garmin etc.? Any suggestions? We're thinking of getting one for a christmas present for my GF's brother, who lives in Missouri, and drives in rural and urban areas relatively equally. He used to be a pizza driver, but is not at the moment; he'd probably use it more for road trips and such.

Some specific questions:

1. Which are generally best at having ruralish information?

2. Which are generally best at giving correct directions (ie, updated frequently)

3. Which survive cold temperatures or high humidity better? We've seen some things to indicate freezing temperatures is bad for them, is this true in that they work poorly in freezing temperatures, or can being left in the car overnight in freezing temperatures actually damage them?

4. Anything else we should know?

Thanks
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Anybody have any experience with one of these, or do I need to go find a techie forum

Comment

I did a search and found 2 brands, but I have no experince personally..
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Portable GPS are overrated crap. For the urban area I´d suggest a simple UMTS cellphone that can connect to the internet at a decent bandwidth and use Google Earth mini. I guess there´s no UMTS field in rural areas though.

I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Garmin or Magellan. Tom Tom is more expensive then I would guess you want to spend.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Garmin is the one that I'd heard relatively good things about before ... but does it work reasonably is the question ?

Comment

It wouldn't be a top brand if it didn't work, now would it?

Comment

Working...
              X