A dire situation for the Philippine family in Qatar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A dire situation for the Philippine family in Qatar

Dolores's cousin, Crispina, went to Qatar as a OFW, overseas foriegn worker, in the capacity of domestic helper. She was unable to do the job according to her employer, the arab owner of the mansion where she worked. He returned her to the Philipino run agency that hired her and brought her to Qatar. They are now keeping her locked up and feeding her once a day but very little food. Apparently there are other Filipinas there in the same situation. The agency wants $1000 to fly her home to the Philippines. I sent an email to her sister offering a $300 contribution suggesting that she take it to the agency and tell them it's everything she has and try to cut a deal. The agency might just decide to cut their losses and take it. We haven't heard back on this offer to her sister, Lucina.

I'm making this thread to get ideas on how to proceed. I'll try to check in more often than usual to reply to suggestions and questions.

What would you do?
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Call al-Jazira. They're based there.

Maybe their newly founded Londen office has an interest in the story?

Did she leave a copy of her contract at home in the Philipines?
    "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
    "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

I hear so many horror stories about poor people who go to work in Arab countries and get abused like this that I can't believe anyone would ever willingly work in an Arab country.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

germanos, getting it on the news in the Phils might help more but I'm not sure. While poor people like Crispina are the ones who vote the agencies are the ones with the politcal power since they are rich. The news might not even run the story. It's a last resort that might just backfire even if the story were to run. It might have repercussions for Crispina if the agency were to get in trouble. Things would have to get worse before we try something like this.

Oerdin, they go because they have to eat. More often than not it's tough but the pay is good. Keep in mind that although this abuse is happening in Qatar that Crispina is suffering in the hands of fellow Philipinos.

I wonder if Rufus come to Poly anymore?
        Long time member @ Apolyton
        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Lancer, I was mose thinking of getting it on the news in Qatar .

But really, some insight on her contract would be more constructive. Can the agency legally do what they are doing?

But unfortunately I think the cousin is left in her predicament and somebody will have to cough up the 1000$. Abuse of maids (be they Philipino, Pakistani, Indonesian or whatever) is widespread, and not only on the Arabian peninsula.
          "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
          "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

The "locked up" part that really bothers me.

Can't the family just send her a plane ticket home? And why doesn't the agency just find her another job?

A whole new approach would be for us to start calling our Congressmen/Members of Parliment, telling them that we have a friend in Qatar being held prisoner by a private company in Qatar and asking them contact the Philippine Embassy in Qatar and the government in Qatar to express their concern. If we can get calls from politicos coming in from all over the world, that could shake things up a might.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
              I hear so many horror stories about poor people who go to work in Arab countries and get abused like this that I can't believe anyone would ever willingly work in an Arab country.
              Yep.
              According to the stories (especially the lack of rights these foreign workers have in SA [and especially if it comes to abuse by their employer]) it seems to be correct to call them slaves.
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Call the American embassy. They probably can't help, since she's not an American citizen, but they might know who CAN help.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

QFT
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by germanos
                    Lancer, I was mose thinking of getting it on the news in Qatar .
                    And they would care why? I think the Arabic word for slave these days is Filipina.
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Lancer, where are you right now? I'm guessing not in the Phils. You might try and call the company yourself. Sometimes "American white man power" works wonders.

Comment

I agree with cheguitz, use american white man power,
                        I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                          Lancer, where are you right now? I'm guessing not in the Phils. You might try and call the company yourself. Sometimes "American white man power" works wonders.
                          He's in Oregon.

Comment

Send the woman the $1000 to rescue her and hope she learned her lesson. Not much else to do really.

Comment

Sadly, I know that this also sometimes happens in Israel.

Some people specialize is importing cheap labor, and then can keep them here, sometimes locked up, and sometimes, just by taking away their documents and permits and thus holding them hostage.

It is awful, and the country is only slowly responding to this atrocious abuse of civil rights.

The sex slave market is an awfull thing as well, and sadly Israel also has that.

Comment

Working...
                              X