Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would a movie based on Darwin's Discovery be good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would a movie based on Darwin's Discovery be good?

I was thinking, a well-made movie on Darwin and how he came to found his discovery might make a really good movie and help to open eyes.

Understanding natural selection is not easy for many, which is probably why they just shun it off as being ridiculous. A movie about it will certainly help!

But would it be entertaining?
    be free

no
    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

yes for geeks like me. no for everyone else.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Yeah, just say there is a secret code in his books!
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

How about have Yahoo Serious make it.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Mel Brooks?
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Actually, you could make a great movie about Darwin, but it would be too controversial.

The most compelling aspect of the story is not Darwin's discovery, but how it shook Darwin's Christian faith, and how, out of love, he tried to keep that fact from his wife.

The truly interesting movie, though, would be about Huxley.
              "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Would ther be protests form the religous refusniks
                Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

A Darwin movie would be great. Controversial or no, the creationists will probably come out with something sooner or later, so might as well get in there before them.

Comment

Mel Gibson should do it.
                    Blah

Comment

There were already movies about mathematicans,
                      so why not a movie about a biologist

Especially if it makes Creationists angry
                      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

They make a film about Galileo at the same time, just to rub the point in.
                        Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                        Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

They should make one about Kant - lots of action.
                          Blah

Comment

There was a TV series in the UK a looong time ago. As a youngster at the time I found it interesting and informative. A film would have to dumb down or take liberties with the truth, I fear.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
                              Actually, you could make a great movie about Darwin, but it would be too controversial.

The most compelling aspect of the story is not Darwin's discovery, but how it shook Darwin's Christian faith, and how, out of love, he tried to keep that fact from his wife.
                              The best movies are about passions and emotions. Focusing on the emotional ramifications of Darwin's disccovery sounds like a great idea.

By with a totally different approach, I once read a totally charming short story about Charles Darwin, as a young boy, befriending a dragon in his basement, and later smuggling the dragon (disguised as a large dog) onto the Beagle on his voyage of discovery.

Comment

Working...
                              X