Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indepedence for Quebeckers!!

PM says Quebec 'nation in Canada'

Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper has told a debate in parliament that he regards the province of Quebec as a "nation within Canada".

Mr Harper was responding to a motion by Quebec separatists that MPs should "recognise Quebeckers form a nation".

Francophone Quebec has previously held two referendums on separation, in 1980 and 1995, but rejected the idea.

Mr Harper's Conservatives won Canada's general election in January to end 12 years of Liberal rule.

Analysts say the motion is proving problematic for federalists.

An acceptance would encourage talks towards separatism but a rejection could bolster the separatists' belief that their aspirations are being ignored.

Kickbacks

On Wednesday, Mr Harper backed the notion that the House of Commons should "recognise that Quebeckers constitute a nation within a united Canada".

He said: "The real question is simple: do Quebeckers make up a nation of their own in a united Canada? The answer is yes.

"Do Quebeckers make up a nation independent from Canada? The answer is no and will always be no."

The leader of the Bloc Quebecois party opposed the prime minister's position.

"It isn't up to the prime minister to decide what Quebeckers will choose as an option. It's up to Quebeckers," Gilles Duceppe said.

January's elections was called following revelations that Liberal politicians in Quebec had taken kickbacks in return for awarding government contracts.

Afterwards Mr Harper pledged a renewed drive for federalism for Quebec.

"We will do this because shuffling the deck in Ottawa is not good enough," he said at the time.

The Conservatives made significant gains in Quebec.

i hereby officially suggest that if Quebec is to be called a nation, they should find a better-sounding name for it's people! Quebecs, Quebecians or something like that
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

It's Quebecois actually.
    What?

Comment

Re: Indepedence for Quebeckers!!

"It isn't up to the prime minister to decide what Quebeckers will choose as an option. It's up to Quebeckers," Gilles Duceppe said.
      God I hate the Quebecois...

Comment

And you're going for the record, i'm guessing.
        What?

Comment

ah i see! the article was on BBC, is it some form of hate calling Quebecois like that?
          Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
          Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
          giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Re: Re: Indepedence for Quebeckers!!

Originally posted by Harry Tuttle

God I hate the Quebecois...
            Oh noes...
            What?

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
              ah i see! the article was on BBC, is it some form of hate calling Quebecois like that?
              Is there a word in english for willful ignorance?
              What?

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Indepedence for Quebeckers!!

Originally posted by Richelieu

Oh noes...
                Yeah I know, it hurts me deeply too.

Comment

Originally posted by Richelieu

Is there a word in english for willful ignorance?
                  I researched this, and the closest I could find was "Mobius".

1. willful ignorance
                  (noun)
                  The practice or act of intentional and blatant avoidance, disregard or disagreement with facts, empirical evidence and well-founded arguements because they oppose or contradict your own existing personal beliefs.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

If they're their own nation, they shouldn't be receiving our foreign aid.
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                      If they're their own nation, they shouldn't be receiving our foreign aid.
                      Why not?
                      What?

Comment

I'm surprised that Asher decided to post in this thread.
                        Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

THis is one of those "non-story" stories. Like if they ask a politician if they beat their wife so that the headline can be that "Politician Denies beating wife".

Here, separatist politicians will periodically bring motions hoping to trip up federalist politicians in an attempt to re-ignite the issue. Canada is often talked about as having origins in the "union of two nations" or similar phrasing. I think Harper's comments merely reflect that.
                          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber
                            THis is one of those "non-story" stories.
                            Quebec hasn't signed the Canadian Constitution. You call that a non-story?
                            What?

Comment

A Nation doesn't equal a State.

Scotland, Wales and England all form distinct nations/countries within the union that is the United Kingdom. They're just non-independent, non-sovereign nations who are subservent to the union's parliament in London either directly (as in the case of England's affairs all being handled by Westminister) or indirectly (as the regional governments for Wales and Scotland derive their power from Parliament and can be dissolved at anytime).

Quebec as a distinct nation doesn't change anything about its relation in regards to the other provinces nor to the federal government.
                              Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                              -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Working...
                              X