Yet another Lebanese politician assasinated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sorry.
    I read this title as Lesbian instead of Lebanese.
    Wasn't going to post about it but it happened again.
    And again.
    After 5 times of misread the title on different occasions, I figured my dyslexia, or subconscious desire, whatever, was worth a post.
    That's all.

Comment

I suspect Israel stands behind this assasination. It desperately wants Bush to attack/pressure Syria, while he still can.
      "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
      I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
      Middle East!

Comment

How does the assassination of a Lebanese politician become a discussion of Israel?

What happened to the UN investigation related to Hariri?

At this rate, no one who opposes the Hezbollah and speaks out will survive in Lebanon. Obviously, a completely ineffective law enforcement system undermines any possibility of a truly representative government.
        No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
        "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Well, if You don't know, Lebanon would not have problems today, has Israel not kicked out dozens of thousands of Palestinians into it.
          Middle East!

Comment

Originally posted by Blaupanzer

What happened to the UN investigation related to Hariri?
            The UN just voted for setting up some international tribunal for the Hariri case, though the Lebanese still have to agree to it.....
            Blah

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

A right wing extremist movement? What does that mean? That they wanted to abolish health care insurance? That they wanted to murder Jews (it was more their enemies who were into that) In the Leb context, right wing was short hand for defending the Maronite position. I dont think thats intrinsicaslly hateful.
              The Phalange was a fascist party, based on fascits ideals, and founded when th elder Pierre went to Berlin and was impressed by Nazi power.

Its interesting how a Nazi-wanna-be organization becomes OK because they happen to have been Israeli allies out of convinience.
              If you don't like reality, change it! me
              "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
              "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
              "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Blaupanzer
                At this rate, no one who opposes the Hezbollah and speaks out will survive in Lebanon. Obviously, a completely ineffective law enforcement system undermines any possibility of a truly representative government.
                Actually, the fact that no one is even willing to carry out a freaking census because all ethnic factions are afraid they might lose power is the reason Lebanon isn;t and can;t be a really democratic state.

when power is not based on one man one vote but one religious/ethnic faction, one vote, democracy can't really flourish.
                If you don't like reality, change it! me
                "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Heresson
                  Well, if You don't know, Lebanon would not have problems today, has Israel not kicked out dozens of thousands of Palestinians into it.
                  Ehrrmm... I distinctly recall the Syrians and Jordanians doing the same thing (they probably expelled a lot more)
                  Yay for pan-arabic brotherhood

(you DO know that the Lebanese Civil War started in earnest only after Black September, no?)
                  "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                  "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

I think given the political costs alone, they were absolutely unhappy with the deaths of christian maronites.
                    Nice to see you've got your priorities straight

On the issue at hand, well what can anybody say besides the fact that the ME will be a hell hole as long as the people that live there do these things.
                    "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Originally posted by germanos

Ehrrmm... I distinctly recall the Syrians and Jordanians doing the same thing (they probably expelled a lot more)
                      Yay for pan-arabic brotherhood

(you DO know that the Lebanese Civil War started in earnest only after Black September, no?)

I've ment expulsion from Palestine. Indeed, Israel is responsible for problems of Jordan and Syria as well, not only Lebanon's.
                      Middle East!

Comment

Working...
                      X