I object to the term "Native American"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I object to the term "Native American"

So called "Native Americans" were not native to the Americas. They, like the Europeans, also came as explorers and colonized the lands. They just happened to do it sooner.

If the term "Native American" can refer to anyone born in the Americas, then I'm a Native American. If the term cannot apply to anyone descended from people who colonized the Americas, then the term applies to nobody.

"Indians" is also an incorrect term.

Such people aren't from India. To call them Indians is not just wrong, it's just plain stupid. Why people continued to refer to tribal American peoples as "Indians" after it was discovered that the New World wasn't India is beyond me. And for people to still call them Indians more than 500 years later is beyond idiotic.

I'm not about "political correctness". I don't care about making people feel good about themselves or not offending anyone. That's not what this is about. It's about being correct, period.

To object to changing a label just on the grounds of "I hate having to be politically correct" is not only stubborn, but also moronic.

As for what to call people? I don't care. Call them by their tribe name. Call them Americans. After all, that's what they are, aren't they? I don't understand why we need to come up with separate labels for people if they are of a different skin color or if they came from a different country.

"African American", "Italian American", "Native American", "Mexican American", "Asian American"...

Personally, I think it's an attempt to make them less of an American. Somehow, if you aren't white or of Anglo descent, then you are a _____-American... but you aren't just a regular American. No, you must

None of us are originally from this land. Nobody is a native. But we're all Americans.

As for how to describe people? Screw all these labels. What is so bad about skin color? Just use photoshop or something. Make it an RGB value.

That way, there will be so many different kinds of "races" it will be difficult for people to come together and hate others.

"232, 182, 157 POWER!!!"

It just doesn't quite have the same ring to it. And the best part is, nobody will be white. Except maybe snowmen. But if they start any trouble, we can always use hairdryers!
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Eradicate the snowmen!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

My armies are already being trained.

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Stressful day, Sava?
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Why are those people dressed in 232 attacking a big snowball?

ACK!
          Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
            My armies are already being trained.

You are teaching your armies to hump snowmen?
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Pekka, then, there are no native inhabitants anywhere outside of east/south east africa, since humans explored, colonized the whole earth from there.

They are the first inhabitants of the land, when they (native americans, amerindians, whatever you like to call them) arrived, the lands were empty, when spain, portugal, england etc arrived, the lands were not empty.

So it is different, you could say that the portuguese who inhabit the azores islands and madeira island are natives, since the islands were empty before they movd there, but ethnic portuguese in brazil, are not natives, the amerindians are the native inhabitants of brazil, the same way the only native inhabitants of australia are the aborigines etc etc etc

Do you also have a problem too with the terms indigenous inhabitants, first american nations, autochtonous people?

The only problem I have with the term native american, is that it is hard to know if it refers to all amerindians from continental america, from alaska to tierra del fuego, or only to those of the USA, in the civ 4 forum I have seen many USAamericans complaining because the game has no native american civilizations in it.
              Obviously they dont consider aztecs to be native americans and meant sioux, cherokees etc
              I need a foot massage

Comment

Pekka?
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

goes synomously with insane rant

JM
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Oh. Right. Carry on then.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)

Comment

I still call them indians. Bad habits die hard.

playing cowboys and indians as a kid just sounded better than cowboys and native americans. . Actually I don't think the PC term native americans existed back then. geez, that makes me sound old. I'm not like Slowwhand. I'm still young, honest.

Comment

In south america "indians" dont really object to being called that, they call themselves indios, even the leftist, lets worship mother earth, kill the spanish ones.
                        So, if they dont have a problem with it, you shouldnt either.

For me the problem with the word indians is the confussion with indians from the indian subcontinent
                        I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                          goes synomously with insane rant

JM
                          my thoughts on seeing the post.

Comment

Originally posted by Brachy-Pride
                            In south america "indians" dont really object to being called that, they call themselves indios, even the leftist, lets worship mother earth, kill the spanish ones.
                            So, if they dont have a problem with it, you shouldnt either.

For me the problem with the word indians is the confussion with indians from the indian subcontinent
                            yeah I think we should call people from India something else.

ghandians or something. . But yes that can be confusing.

Comment

Re: I object to the term "Native American"

Originally posted by Sava
                              If the term cannot apply to anyone descended from people who colonized the Americas, then the term applies to nobody.
                              Then no one on the planet would have a nationality.

Which, ironically, should be the way. waiting for the slow ones to catch up to new and better ideologies is irritating.
                              be free

Comment

Working...
                              X