Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And still more people burning themselves alive...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And still more people burning themselves alive...

Good grief. What the Hell was this supposed to accomplish? This is 2006. The war started in 2002. Could this guy have been any later to this party...?

...yes he could, but 4 years too late is plenty late. Moron.

There's more stuff (links) at the site, but this isn't very well-done journalism, more bloggish than anything.

Malachi burns himself alive to protest Iraq war
    by MJ Saturday, Nov. 18, 2006 at 12:46 AM
    mjm@notinourname.net

Activist and artist Malachi Ritscher burns himself alive in Chicago in front of morning rush hour commuters to protest the war in Iraq.

The press has almost completely blacked out this news in mainstream press .
    A long time Chicago activist, artist and contributer to the Chicago jazz scene has burned himself alive in an act of protest against the iraq war. He is only one of 10 Americans in history to have done this .
    Buddist monks did this during the VietNam war.
    On Friday, November 3, a man doused his body with gasoline and set himself afire to protest the war in Iraq . He died quietly in flames. His name was Malachi Ritscher.

Haven't seen it in the news? Me neither, which is kind of strange if you ask me, considering that it happened right here in downtown Chicago in front of hundreds of commuters during morning rush hour. The only conventional newspaper coverage to date was a tiny paragraph that appeared in the Saturday edition of the Chicago Sun-Times. Since then...nothing.

His death must not be in vain please spread the word...Chicago activists are planning a protest for Malachi and against the war saturday Nov. 18 in Chicago to get this out into the mainstream news.
    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Does the Chicago press normally publish suicide news?
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Maybe he did it 4 years ago and is only smoldering.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

No, Sloww, he did it earlier this month. Of this year. And nothing (really) in the MSM, plus it was stupid to begin with regardless of when he did it.

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs
          No, Sloww, he did it earlier this month. Of this year. And nothing (really) in the MSM, plus it was stupid to begin with regardless of when he did it.
          Does the MSM normally publish suicide news?

Now, if he had set someone else on fire....
          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Local media is still considered MSM, and yes some do publish stories. Generally frowned upon for the sake of limiting copycatting.

Comment

America only reports a suicide if it's a brown dude and he had a bomb.
              In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Do you guys know what MSM means?
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

What kind of asinine question is that? Mainstream media. The Chicago Tribune is certainly mainstream media, Asher. Even though there was a short blurb about it as part of a larger piece, it was still a suicide being mentioned in a newspaper.

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs
                    What kind of asinine question is that? Mainstream media. The Chicago Tribune is certainly mainstream media, Asher. Even though there was a short blurb about it as part of a larger piece, it was still a suicide being mentioned in a newspaper.
                    First: Gag me, the Chicago Sun-Times had a big column on it from some dude named "Roeper": http://www.suntimes.com/news/roeper/...roep09.article

MSM = Men who have Sex with Men BTW. Hence the question.

MSM is what married gay guys call themselves.

Also means Man Seeking Man.
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I watched this the other day on YouTube. It's someone reading the last words of this guy:

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

Comment

You're Canadian Asher, so I'll forgive you for not knowing this : MSM has come to mean MainStream Media in the US (particularly on teh Internets).

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
                          America only reports a suicide if it's a brown dude and he had a bomb.
                          my city reports suicides if it's in a particularly notworthy place. Like guys jumping off the stratosphere tower.

Comment

Working...
                          X