No announcement yet.

Translation business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you don't like working with people, then being a translator is probably not the best choice. East Asia is the worst. You'll take a lot of abuse because when they coming looking for someone to blame, you'll be the first target.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

The European languages I realistically could major in given the present circumstances would be English, Swedish and German. Everybody here knows English anyway so I'd always be under fire from people criticizing my translations and concluding that they would be better off without having a translation at all. If I chose Swedish, I'd be laughed at, hanged, drawn and quartered. But German?

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

Walter Mosley?
        Terry Prachett?
        Bernard Cornwell?
        Novels from

Bret Easton Ellis
        Brian Evenson
        Jack Womack
        Truman Capote
        Frederick Bush
        J.D. Salinger
        Philip Roth
        Richard Powers
        Tom Spanbauer
        Suki Kim
        Rick Moody
        John Updike
        Tom Wolff

entered my home during the last two years.
        Statistical anomaly.
        The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

Pratchett is English...2nd best selling author after J Rowling...and the most shoplifted...
          You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

The EU needs a lot of translators in Bruxelles; mastering four languages could make a good argument to apply.
            Statistical anomaly.
            The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Krill
              2nd best selling author after J Rowling
              I didn't know that!!

Comment

Ride the China wave. There's a domestic demand for that stuff. I say go for it. If you have the patience to learn, I don't see how you would be unemployed in here. I'm also starting my Chinese studies, but not that level.. Just something very basic. It will increase my value many times over, even though I could only scream 'bring me coffee and cookies, my servant'.
                In da butt.
                "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Yeah, move back to Turku and join the Turku University East Asian minor programme. Use it in your bachelors degree in your chosen language, then join the masters programme in East Asian studies and finish up with the chinese studies and voila China is for yours to conquer. Also be sure to join me and my Chinese neighbours in cooking some excellent chinese dinners every thurdays at 1800 in Yo-talo A 5th floor kitchen
                  Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                    ...It will increase my value many times over ...
                    Won't matter. Even infinity times zero is still zero.

Comment

If you want to make some money, you'll need a degree in translation. But you don't need one to find some work. There are places who hire non-professionals.

Take me for instance. I just finished translating a Harry Potter-ish book from english to french. Can't say I liked it. Its a boring job, IMO. Thank goodness I didn't have to translate a technical manual or some new-age crap.
                      Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

Won't matter. Even infinity times zero is still zero.
                        You might find some that disagree with that...

Time for another 5-page math thread!

Comment

Working...
                        X