No announcement yet.

Ars Technica reviews the Zune

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS subs out the construction of the Zune to Toshiba. Does anyone know if the Toshiba has the same BS copyright problems (I.E. can't play DRMed music you've already paid for) that the Zune does? If it doesn't then just buy Toshiba.

As it is I will stick with Creative Labs because they don't try to tell me what music I can and can't play.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by nostromo

No, its all the more reason to keep buying CD's. By downloading "free' music you're not only stealing, but most of the stuff you find online sounds bad.
      The problem with that is then you're funding the RIAA, which is directly responsible for these DRM ****-ups.
      B♭3

Comment

Buy only Indie labels which aren't in the RIAA.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
          MS subs out the construction of the Zune to Toshiba. Does anyone know if the Toshiba has the same BS copyright problems (I.E. can't play DRMed music you've already paid for) that the Zune does? If it doesn't then just buy Toshiba.

As it is I will stick with Creative Labs because they don't try to tell me what music I can and can't play.
          The initial Zune player was designed and manufactured by Toshiba -- to get it out the door faster. That's why it's virtually the same dimensions as the Gigabeat with some minor changes.

I think, given how this one turned out, they should've waited for the first custom-designed one. And it's really unbelievably stupid not to work with PlaysForSure, I can only imagine it had something to do with RIAA and negotiating the new contracts for the Zune store.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed

The problem with that is then you're funding the RIAA, which is directly responsible for these DRM ****-ups.
            And you run the risk of a installing a secret rootkit off a Sony disk! Also, a CD of 12 songs might have 2 good ones.

Like I said, all the companies treat the consumer like they're a thief, so to hell with 'em. They're not going to catch me anyway, so I'm stealing their sh*t.

And it's really unbelievably stupid not to work with PlaysForSure, I can only imagine it had something to do with RIAA and negotiating the new contracts for the Zune store.
            In the grand scheme of things, it's actually VERY stupid that you can't convert your whole iTunes-purchased music, too. You've already paid for the song. Why do you need to pay for it again?

Comment

I agree that's stupid, but it's not necessarily something in MS' hands. Earlier stories said they tried to replace Apple's M4P protected songs in a user's library with WMA versions, but RIAA didn't bite.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

This is why, after you buy a song, you crack the DRM to free it.
                B♭3

Comment

Amen to that.
                  B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
                    Amen to that.
                    qft
                    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Originally posted by Eroberer
                      It makes ZERO sense that you can't port your iTunes music over to this device. YOU'VE ALREADY PAID FOR IT *******S!! All of Apple, MS and the content industry are to blame for this.
                      I think stupid consumers are to blame for this. If they had any sense then they would not buy restricted music from Apple.
                      http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

I'm pissed about how stupid the PlaysForSure thing is, but luckily I don't have any music under it. And I can crack the stuff I bought in iTunes.

Comment

You can crack the PlaysForSure stuff, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                            You can crack the PlaysForSure stuff, too.
                            There's no form of DRM that can't be cracked that I know of. The trick is how easily it can be done.

The problem with DRM, why it's a technological dead end, is that it's a form of encryption that gives both the encrypted material and the keys to decode it to the end user--which is not how you want to secure anything.

Which is why it's stupid, is nothing more than a hassle to shaft the consumer, and another method for them to avoid technological progress.
                            B♭3

Comment

But are there any alternatives to DRM? People are thieves, you know.
                              Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

At least, the artists get some money
                                Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Working...
                                X