Ars Technica reviews the Zune

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ars Technica reviews the Zune

The new music and video player from Microsoft aims to knock the iPod from its …

The good:

* Great interface
    * Elegant design
    * FM radio support
    * Well-implemented ecosystem
    * Gorgeous display
    * Zune Marketplace
    * Xbox 360 support

The bad:

* No variable bit rate encoding support in the Zune software
    * The social isn't quite here yet—WiFi functionality is lacking
    * Software bugs and sync problems
    * Can't import music from other music services
    * Can't use the Zune as a portable hard drive
    * Compression artifacts in album art

The ugly:

* The realization that the Zune can't play any of the DRMed music you've purchased until now
    Last edited by Nostromo; November 17, 2006, 17:54.
    Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Wow! That thing blows! "Welcome to the ****box," is a better motto!

WHY can it not work with "Playsforsure"? What a load of crap. It makes ZERO sense that you can't port your iTunes music over to this device. YOU'VE ALREADY PAID FOR IT *******S!! All of Apple, MS and the content industry are to blame for this.

Anyway, all the more reason for me to keep downloading free music. If they already think I'm a thief, then by golly I'm gonna be a damn thief!

Comment

Best of all, this thing's going to flop, and people who bought all those songs won't be able to use them anymore. ...or maybe that's not a "best" thing....or maybe no one from these companies gives a sh*t whether it is or isn't.

Comment

Well-implemented ecosystem?
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
          Well-implemented ecosystem?
          Yeah, i loved that line ... wtf does it mean exactly???
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

He's refering to all the other stuff around the player, stuff like the Marketplace, the Media Player...
            Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Anyway, all the more reason for me to keep downloading free music. If they already think I'm a thief, then by golly I'm gonna be a damn thief!
              No, its all the more reason to keep buying CD's. By downloading "free' music you're not only stealing, but most of the stuff you find online sounds bad.
              Last edited by Nostromo; November 17, 2006, 20:55.

Comment

The realization that the Zune can't play any of the DRMed music you've purchased until now

This line is enough. iTunes just killed this newborn baby
                I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Originally posted by nostromo
                  He's refering to all the other stuff around the player, stuff like the Marketplace, the Media Player...
                  That is not an ecosystem. That is software, or perhaps a community.

Ecosystem is recycling and stuff like that

Comment

Originally posted by Datajack Franit

This line is enough. iTunes just killed this newborn baby
                    Asher in 5 ... 4 ...

Comment

I can understand not playing iTunes-purchased songs, but who thought it was a good idea not to allow songs purchased through other Windows-partnered services?

Comment

Re: Ars Technica reviews the Zune

The bad:

(so use some other software, i use dbpoweramp, it's awesome)

(isn't that just a criticism like "noone else has a zune yet"?)

(it's new, it happens, it will get fixed)

* Can't import music from other music services
                        (mainly due to apple not allowing their version of m4a to be licensed?)

* Can't use the Zune as a portable hard drive
                        (genuinely bad, my creative zen micro has been useful in that respect)

(more a criticism of jpeg? but yeah, dunno why they couldn't use bitmaps or png's or whatever, the screen isn't some uber high def thingy)

The ugly:

* The realization that the Zune can't play any of the DRMed music you've purchased until now
                        (again, blame apple, microsoft lets anyone license their .wma, apple restricts anyone who competes..)

Oh, and i'm perfectly happy with my zen micro, but if I were in the market i'd consider a zune right now. Purely because I like the screen. The wifi seems pointless to me.

EDIT: they don't let other DRM than apple to be played too? Yeah that is a bit weird... Lucky I don't have any DRM'd music i guess

Comment

Arse Technica?
                          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Re: Re: Ars Technica reviews the Zune

(so use some other software, i use dbpoweramp, it's awesome)

- The entire point of having a piece of software like Zune or iTunes is that it can do everything. It'd be a real pain in the ass to use another encoder all the time.

(isn't that just a criticism like "noone else has a zune yet"?)

- No, it's not. That's part of it, but it's mainly 'even if everyone had a zune, you wouldn't be able to do a lot with the wireless'.

(it's new, it happens, it will get fixed)

- True, but from the point of a consumer, why wait?

(more a criticism of jpeg? but yeah, dunno why they couldn't use bitmaps or png's or whatever, the screen isn't some uber high def thingy)

- The iPod doesn't seem to have this problem, so it shouldn't have been difficult for Microsoft to figure it out.
                            mssv.net - After Our Time - Six to Start

Comment

What a PoS. I'm going to stay as far away from it as I've stayed from the iPod, and continue to use much better but less well marketed MP3 players.
                              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Working...
                              X