Ferenc Puskas dead at 79

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ferenc Puskas dead at 79

And now the Major gallops in a better place...

Hungarian soccer great Ferenc Puskas dead at 79Associated Press

BUDAPEST, Hungary -- Ferenc Puskas, who captained the Hungarian national teams of the 1950s and led Real Madrid to three European Cup titles, died Friday at 79.

Considered one of the all-time greats of world soccer, Puskas died in a Budapest hospital from respiratory and circulatory failure, family spokesman Gyorgy Szollosy said.

Puskas had been hospitalized for six years with Alzheimer's disease and was being treated for a fever and pneumonia in recent days. He had been in intensive care since September.

Nicknamed the "Galloping Major" in reference to his army rank, Puskas scored 84 goals in 85 matches for Hungary between 1945 and 1956. The stocky, left-footed forward guided the "Magical Magyars" to an Olympic gold medal in 1952 and to the final of the 1954 World Cup, where they lost to West Germany.

"Everyone knows he [Puskas] was a great player and an even better person," fellow Real Madrid star Alfredo di Stefano said Friday. "He was a phenomenon, a very generous man."

Puskas starred in two of the most famous games in European soccer history -- scoring twice in Hungary's stunning 6-3 upset over England at Wembley Stadium in 1953, and scoring four goals in Real Madrid's 7-3 win over Eintracht Frankfurt in the 1960 European Cup final.

In 1999, Puskas was voted the sixth-best player of the 20th century, behind Pele, Johan Cruyff, Franz Beckenbauer, Alfredo Di Stefano and Diego Maradona.

The Budapest stadium was renamed Puskas Ferenc Stadion in 2002.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

I remember him from when I was a kid. One of the greatest ever.
    Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
    And notifying the next of kin
    Once again...

Comment

Wish I could have seen the Magical Magyars play. Or at least Real Madrid with Puskas and Di Stefano!
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

RIP
        You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Wanted to post this earlier but didn't think many would care enough.

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

great of you to post this, Imran.
            urgh.NSFW

Comment

part of the side that won 5 consecutive titles and 3 european cups. simply a legend.

RIP
              "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

RIP.

Institutionalised for 6 years with Alzheimer's? A better place indeed.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Working...
                X