Best way do backup data these days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way do backup data these days

I mean for personal use, best in the overall sense (price, speed, handling etc)

Usually I was putting the most important data on CD. But over time I have so much stuff that it would require several CDs. I'm speaking about ca. 5 GB, and it gets more and more relatively quick.

I can only read DVDs currently - should I go for a DVD recorder and throw away the read only drive? Any better ideas?
    Blah

DVD's

Comment

Cheap hard drives
      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

DVD, I second the motion. Nero, if you have Nero, does a good job.

Shiva, I know someone that doesn't burn a thing. Instead, she does as you say, and buys all these hdd's.
        I can only guess at her filing system for them.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Any better ideas?
          memory sticks

*.RAR -files

edit: by "memory stick", I mean "USB stick". sony
          Last edited by RGBVideo; November 15, 2006, 14:54.

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
            Cheap hard drives
            DVD's are at least 5-10 times cheaper per GB.

Comment

Incremental backup - you don't have to back up your whole pron collection each time.
              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                DVD's are at least 5-10 times cheaper per GB.
                But much more of a pain to swap around, file, etc. Plus, you can't rewrite to them (rewriteable ones are more expensive), so you need more GBs in the first place.

A 400GB PATA hard drive and a cheap external enclosure won't set you back more than $150 (probably less). Or, you could buy a 3rd hard drive to go with the two already in your computer, put them in RAID 5, and have redundancy as well as increased performance
                THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Depends. How important is this data, how often do you use it?

If important, use multiple back up methods, as in DVD, perhaps USB stick, maybe a shell as well.. Or you could buy more HDDs... External HDDs aren't necessarily a bad idea.

If not so important, the cheapest way is DVDs at the moment.
                  In da butt.
                  "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                  THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                  "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat
                    Incremental backup - you don't have to back up your whole pron collection each time.
                    I knew someone would make that kind of comment
                    Blah

Comment

what else could it be than pr0n if it takes >1gb to store (presuming it's compressed) and you need to use it on multiple PCs?

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                        Depends. How important is this data, how often do you use it?

If important, use multiple back up methods, as in DVD, perhaps USB stick, maybe a shell as well.. Or you could buy more HDDs... External HDDs aren't necessarily a bad idea.

If not so important, the cheapest way is DVDs at the moment.
                        It's quite important since the bulk of the data is my own gfx stuff (one multi layer pic can go easily over 10 or 15 MB, not to mention 3d meshes or animations which can be much bigger), which I can get nowhere else when it's gone. I think DVD is good....additional backups are maybe overkill though
                        Blah

Comment

Sure. Well, just figured how important it is, DVD might get easily corrupted when you throw it around the house like a frisbee...
                          In da butt.
                          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Cheap hard drives don't really provide much in the way of backup, because cheap hard drives have a tendency to break. DVD's are fairly sturdy unless you're using them as drink coasters.
                            <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

USB stick (or so-called thumb drive) is the most portable, if you move data between machines. Otherwise, just do a backup to a DVD-write drive. Sell your old drive to friend/e-bay or contribute to some semi-tech-savvy charity.
                              No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                              "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Working...
                              X