Problem with PMCs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with PMCs

PMC stands for private military company. Basically many of them are contracted to all kinds of conflicts, and their legal status is pretty much unknown. However, the best of them come from the western parts of the world.

You know, executive outcome and the likes. People can believe that they are all about support and other types of services but they really are private armies. Of course, their deployment is an ethical issue but not a clear one. I can't argue one way or another and be consistent. They can be used for good, they can be used for bad. They can be useful, but they can be a pain in the ass.

I just remembered the latest debates about the geneva convention and the wild interpretations of them when it came to the torture bill. One of the most weird ones for myself personally was that illegal combatant is someone not wearing a uniform. I argued against this very strongly. In my opinion this can't be the ONLY thing, it can be a sign, it can be something that you consider when taking out these combatants and maybe putting them on trial, however it can not be the only evidence you have.

And this is a perfect example, we have all these westerners out there, contracted by governments and armies or one of them, and these people don't wear uniforms. Why? Because they aren't officially part of the army. But they do carry guns.

I'm not talking about truck drivers here, I'm talking about military personnel that has been contracted there via PMCs. We used a word mercenary for these types before, except there's little difference, they are not individuals hired but workers hired from company that got the contract.

But in this case, it does not make a difference since they do not wear uniform and they do carry weapons. Often times those weapons are stolen, smuggled in to the country and whatnot, since the army can't provide them with weapons legally. They choose to ignore how they go their weaponry which is fine because it really is not their concern. However, you have a situation where they are officially paid, not wearing uniforms, definitely not belonging to any active official armies, theres thousands of them, and they are all 'on our side', but we choose to think they are legal, or at least semi-illegal.

Even if we decide they are illegal, we still choose not to categorize them as illegal combatants under the geneva convention.

Most often these people are experts, professional soldiers looking for higher pay and some action. But they do not wear official uniforms. Maybe they have some of their own, but that's not official.

So are these folks illegal combatants by that standard, I don't think so because I don't believe that it is enough for one not to wear uniform to be categorized as such unless other circumstances lets us believe so. And many of them might be illegal regardless, because the status is unknown.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Originally posted by Verto
    wtf pekka?
    JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

But don't be fooled, I'm not one of those uuh uuh soldier bad, merc bad. Nah.. Two sides of the same coin often times.

Is it better to fight for money or an ideology? We'd like to say it's better at least not to fight for money, but in pure sense of mercenary business where you'd join clearly rogue sides for money, that is a problem and I'm not saying it's kosher. Definitely not. It's one of the biggest sins you could commit. OR if you start acting like a crazy murderer outside what is normal soldiering, no matter what side you are on for your personal gain and pleasure, that is horrible, simply disgusting and horrible.

But there are also people who take up guns and join sides they do believe are on the right cause and get paid to do so. This shouldn't be a debate about who does what and is it OK, I'm saying I recognize the pure mercenary being something of a disgusting human, one of the worst kinds, but also that there are pro soldiers who are not under their own flag who we shouldn't condemn without knowing their ethics and code of conduct first.

OK so this is very problematic, we tend to not understand our enemies at all when it comes to their branches and any kind of civil fractions of force usage. It is a problem for the public, because the public tends to think yeaa they're all the bad guy. They should move if they felt the city was getting hot. I don't believe that's fair or realistic. It's a way to sleep your nights.

But what about these companies, because you have to then come in terms of what is acceptable security service and what is not. You have to understand what kind of measures ordinary security might entail, especially in terms of securing companies in difficult locations, nto war zones but difficult locations. What are the appropriate terms, I don't think it's trivial at all, we should all know the business and the framework without givign any definite answers. When does this security service become unacceptable?
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller

Originally posted by Verto
        wtf pekka?

THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

So is this a testament for you guys to admit you have no idea what happens around the world these days?
          In da butt.

Comment

Working...
          X