The WindowsXP help hour, PIII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The WindowsXP help hour, PIII

I've tried to save an mp3 on to my desktop through Internet Explorer!

I am given a choice on where to save it, and what type of application to save it as (either an .exe or "all files")!

It saves as a .exe file, which I can not open with Winamp!

How do I change this saved file back to an mp3, as it is so hosted on the source website!

Why can't these trivial f*cking things be straight forward and not needing of inquiry based research!

Right-click, rename, change the .exe to .mp3.

Or is it possible it is an exe?

Comment

I can not re-name the extension on desktop

There's some sort of thing you have to do, within the start menu, perhaps within Run or something like that. Alas, that's too ridiculously extensive to have to remember, for such a BASIC expectation!

Windows

Comment

start->run-> type "cmd"

go to the folder the file is located in rename it

ren filename.old filename.new
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Use the command prompt. Download the "Command prompt here" PowerToy, I couldn't live without it. Or, just go to Start -> Run -> cmd (enter).

Change directory to your desktop if you don't start there. Then type "ren mp3filename.exe mp3filename.mp3" without the quotes.
          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
          AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
          AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
          DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Go into Windows Explorer. Go to Tools->Folder Options. Go to the View tab. Under Advanced Settings uncheck "hide extensions for known file types". You should be able to change the extension on the desktop now.

Comment

Re: The WindowsXP help hour, PIII

Originally posted by Zylka

Why can't these trivial f*cking things be straight forward and not needing of inquiry based research!
              Because Micro$oft is teh evilz and IE suck. Firefox 2.0 is out now. Better than ever
              I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                Go into Windows Explorer. Go to Tools->Folder Options. Go to the View tab. Under Advanced Settings uncheck "hide extensions for known file types". You should be able to change the extension on the desktop now.
                Pretty much required.

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Yeah, you should do that anyway or you're begging to be infected.

Comment

Why's that?

Comment

Because it's easy for an exe to pose as, say, an mp3.

Comment

Working...
                      X