X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teh Forest Worshippe Thread

This is actually no copycat.

Study hopeful for world's forests

A new technique for measuring the state of the world's forests shows the future may not be as bad as previously feared.

An international team of researchers say its Forest Identity study suggests the world could be approaching a "turning point" from deforestation.

The study measures timber volumes, biomass and captured carbon - not just land areas covered by trees.

The findings are being published in the US journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

"The trend is better than previously thought," said Pekka Kauppi, one of the paper's co-authors.

"We see prospects for an end to deforestation; we do not make a forecast but it is possible."

See a map detailing changes to the world's growing stocks

Professor Kauppi, from the University of Helsinki, said data from the Forest Identity methodology offered a more sophisticated view than previous studies.

"Previously, the focus was almost exclusively on the size of a forest area," he told BBC News. "Now, we have included other components, including biomass and the amount of carbon stored."

He said this approach offered a better understanding of the natural resource: "When we look at changes in both area covered and biomass, we can get a more complete picture of the ecosystems."

When the technique was applied to data from the UN Food and Agriculture Organisation's (FAO) Global Forest Assessment report, the researchers found that forest stocks had actually expanded over the past 15 years in 22 of the world's 50 most forested nations.

They also showed increases in biomass and carbon storage capacity in about half of the 50 countries.

But the data also revealed that forest area and biomass was still in decline in Brazil and Indonesia, home to some of the world's most important rainforests.

Demand for land

The report also showed a correlation between a nation's economic growth and "forest transition", in other words, a shift from deforestation to net gains in tree cover.

The researchers found that when Gross Domestic Product (GDP) per capita reached $4,600 (£2,400), many nations experienced forest transition and saw an increase in forestry growing stock (volume of useable timber).

Professor Kauppi said no nation intentionally destroyed forests, people did it out of necessity.

"Rural populations, which are poor and growing, have to convert new land to agriculture and subsistence farming," he observed.

"So the pressures on the forests ease if people have other job sources. We are not saying that people, because they are wealthier, do not destroy forests but it is a sign that societies have good law enforcement and rural policies."

But there was a risk that a misleading picture was being created by rich nations importing raw timber or wood-based products from poorer nations, rather than destroying their own woodlands.

"This is a serious problem," Professor Kauppi said. "It is called 'leakage' or 'exporting ecological impacts' and it exists, unfortunately."

But he emphasised that, overall, international trade was not bad: "If agricultural production takes place in highly productive regions, then land elsewhere can be protected or saved."

Deliverable goals

He hoped the Forest Identity formula would be used as a tool to help governments and policymakers to formulate effective strategies.

"For example, you can set goals by analysing the changes in forest area and forest density and then make projections of alternative futures.

"You cannot change things overnight. Making promises and goals that are unrealistic is bad; you have to set demanding, yet achievable aims."

Professor Kauppi said he was hopeful for the long-term future of the planet's forests, but warned that appropriate action was essential.

"Critically, it is about how people live in rural areas in developing nations," he concluded. "Can their living conditions be improved? If they can, then there is reason to be optimistic."
    Bolding by me....didn't know that Pekka is a uni prof

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6143514.stm - there's also a little map which shows where there's more forest and where less or no change (or no data about it)

Forest
    Blah

This thread is in really bad taste, BeBro
    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Forests taste bad.

Much better with a dash of salt.
      "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Comment

A white square, interesting. Maybe it's forest in winter.....
          Blah

Comment

Hmm. That seems to be the only part of that website which is down.
            The Forestinistas are attempting to hide the truth from teh people!!!1

Comment

Message icon
              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

the new forest is great for impressing chicks with all the ponies and colts wandering around freely
                Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Forrest
                  <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                  I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Red X square vs. White square.

Long live the red X square revolution.
                    "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
                      This thread is in really bad taste, BeBro
                      How so? Is this one of those "You had to be there" inputs?
                      No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                      "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Forest

Unbelievable!

Comment

Forests

APOSTOLNIK BEANIE BERET BICORNE BIRETTA BOATER BONNET BOWLER CAP CAPOTAIN CHADOR COIF CORONET CROWN DO-RAG FEDORA FEZ GALERO HAIRNET HAT HEADSCARF HELMET HENNIN HIJAB HOOD KABUTO KERCHIEF KOLPIK KUFI MITRE MORTARBOARD PERUKE PICKELHAUBE SKULLCAP SOMBRERO SHTREIMEL STAHLHELM STETSON TIARA TOQUE TOUPEE TRICORN TRILBY TURBAN VISOR WIG YARMULKE ZUCCHETTO

Comment

Working...
                          X