Holidays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holidays

So I am lokoing at my Nog Silk Soymilk. And I find it a bit humorous.

"Happy Nog Days!

Peace, love and good cheer come naturally this time of year. Here are a few favorite cross-cultural celebrations:

Halycon Days, Saturnalia, Yule and Winter Solstice -
    from Greeks, Romans and pagans.

Kqanzaa- a week of rememberance and celebration.
    Ta Chiu- a Taoist festival of peace an renewal.

And let us all celebrate the repeal, in 1660, of the English law that made holiday celbrations illegal.
    Yippee!"

Besides its annoying attempt to be cute (Yippee!??), there are a couple picks. Those are definitely the holidays I think about this time of year. And associate with Egg Nog. And how are holidays of the Romans and Greek's cross-cultural.. didn't those cultures (That celebrated them) die out over 1000 years ago? Or if not.. how are Roman and Greek celebrations cross-cultural (they might have been in the Mediterranean 2000 years ago).

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

I'm always amazed at what exactly goes on in people's heads when they can't bring themselves to say Merry Christmas.

Happy Holidays, Season's Greetings.. meh.

Comment

The first shots are fired on the War on Christmas.
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

celebrate Hanukkah - kill a Greek
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

And a Festivus for the rest of us!!!

I can't believe you guys left out the most important holiday of all!

I'll remember this when we all gather around the aluminum pole on the Night for Airing of Grievances.

Comment

airing of grievances.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
              And a Festivus for the rest of us!!!

I can't believe you guys left out the most important holiday of all!

I'll remember this when we all gather around the aluminum pole on the Night for Airing of Grievances.
              My dad was born on Festivus night
              Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

I find tinsel distracting.
                "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
                  I'm always amazed at what exactly goes on in people's heads when they can't bring themselves to say Merry Christmas.
                  What's so amazing about the thoughts "I'm not Christian" or "the person I'm talking to isn't Christian."

Comment

because christmas isn't a religious holiday.

Comment

What's so amazing about the thoughts "I'm not Christian" or "the person I'm talking to isn't Christian."
                      It's the discussion of the most limited and inconsquential holidays as being what we thinking of as the Holiday season that I find amazing.

I mean, if they wanted to say: "Here are some little known celebrations that also take place in the Holiday Season." I would have thought: "Hey, Cool.. I didn't know about that one..". On the other hand, saying that these are the celebrations that we think about this time of year either tells a lot about their clientel, or makes them look like tools.

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                        On the other hand, saying that these are the celebrations that we think about this time of year either tells a lot about their clientel, or makes them look like tools.

JM
                        I think it's probably a bit of both. Afterall, you are drinking soy milk egg nog. Only a pretentious tool would drink such a drink.
                        I'm about to get aroused from watching the pokemon and that's awesome. - Pekka

Comment

it's healthier than real egg nog

which I also drink

but I feel less guilty about drinking this.. while after drinking a small carton of eggnog I am like "What have I done??"

JM
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

I'm finishing off a thing of egg nog just today. Damn I love this stuff. How unhealthy is it really? I'm afraid to look.

Comment

Originally posted by Winston

Christmas is the central thing that we celebrate in our cultural sphere this time of year, so it would be natural to expect advertisers and the majority of people to wish eachother a Merry Christmas. You know, sort of like the way it was oh, 20 years ago. But more often than not, from Americans, you hear Happy Holidays. I suppose it's out of some generally braindamaged political correctness considerations; I'm just glad it hasn't spread here yet. People still know how to wish a Glædelig Jul, even though a staggering maybe 10% of the populace don't actually celebrate it. More power to them, but why on earth should my newspaper wish me a happy solstice or joyful snow season because of it?

Comment

Working...
                              X