What can I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can I do?

So I just received a notice about a speeding ticket in the mail today. It is for a phototicket, from the DC police.

The thing is, this is the second notice. With a doubling of the fine (to $100). I never recieved the first notice.

This happens to me relatively often. Sometimes I get the original after the date that I needed to take care of it. Sometimes I don't recieve something at all.

Now I can just pay the $100, it is annoying, but I can do it. But I am worried that 2 weeks ago I got another one. How am I to pay it if I don't receive the ticket? So what can I do to not have to pay the late fine?

Anyways, this late fine thing pisses me off.

I don't really speed badly, btw. In city I generally go under the speed limit. On the interstate I often do speed limit +10 +- 5. Never gotten stopped, ever. In DC though, I have started getting on 295 from the Beltway since it is quicker at 2 am. However, the speed limit drops from 65 to 55, and I sometimes don't respond right away. This has apparently netted me one ticket, and probably one more.

Jon Miller
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

haha, living in a fasicst city.

although I got a speeding ticket for doing 106 in a 70 mph. mandatory court appearance.

Comment

When the hell did DC put in speed cameras?
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

For what it's worth, I've only gotten one speeding ticket in my life. 83 in a 65.
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

how about you STOP SPEEDING!
          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Speed cameras...
            KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Well, I had none before 9/4/2006.

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                Speed cameras...
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

No one has addressed the central issue. How can I complain and get out of paying the doubling of the fine because I didn't receive the mail about the fine last month?

JM
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                    Speed cameras...

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                      No one has addressed the central issue. How can I complain and get out of paying the doubling of the fine because I didn't receive the mail about the fine last month?

JM
                      Basically you are screwed since it's only your word that you never received the original.

Really it comes down to how hard you want to fight this, maybe pay the original fine with a letter explaining that you never got the original ticket and see what happens. Be prepared to be taken to court though. Your only real chance is to get publicity and if a lot of other people than start complaining that they never received their original tickets then you have a case to claim the office sending out tickets isn't doing its job properly.
                      Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

What we need is a million speeder march.
                        APOSTOLNIK BEANIE BERET BICORNE BIRETTA BOATER BONNET BOWLER CAP CAPOTAIN CHADOR COIF CORONET CROWN DO-RAG FEDORA FEZ GALERO HAIRNET HAT HEADSCARF HELMET HENNIN HIJAB HOOD KABUTO KERCHIEF KOLPIK KUFI MITRE MORTARBOARD PERUKE PICKELHAUBE SKULLCAP SOMBRERO SHTREIMEL STAHLHELM STETSON TIARA TOQUE TOUPEE TRICORN TRILBY TURBAN VISOR WIG YARMULKE ZUCCHETTO

Comment

Speeding

Spec.
                          -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Working...
                          X