OMFG NZ pwnz u!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flip McWho
    Sorry, I shoulda said, it's not a pragmatic move right now.
    No offense taken - was just a bit confused

But yeah, txt speak is mainly a product from sms, not really the internet, so it'll only be dominant whilst txting is the main form of communication. It's also only relatively new too.
    Somehow I think that sms is here for staying - it's silent and discrete - just what any kid are looking for. Comapred to those paper messages that I knew off as a school child, it's rocket science. Add to that, ringing tones too high in frequency for the teacher to hear

Anyways, I agree with the reasoning given in the newsariticles, afterall you still have to use proper english in the appropriate courses, I just think it's too early personally.
    I agree, but with a twist - "proper english" has to get the finger out and catch up with reality.

Oh, and btw, i'm not some teeny punk that think old age sucks - my 47'th birthday is only 49 days away
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Yeah I agree really.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat

My guess is that in 20-30 years those students will be complaining about how the youth are degrading and abusing the language.
        Some things never change...

Comment

The guys who use txt speak are going to suffer from a large disadvantage in their future.

Most people in power have their own idea of what "correct" language is. And if you can't speak that correct language, you sound dumber than you really are. Those people can be more lenient when they evaluate a foreigner, but they'll think that a native speaker is stupid if they see his application written in txt speak. It's not even rationa, it just is.

Heck, over here, we are quite adamant about writing words in full. Any poster who writes in txt speak is immediately seen as a nuisance, and probably also as fairly stupid (leet-speakers are immediately seen as utter morons ). And yet we aren't that old yet, and are in no position of power.
          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
            The barbarians are at the gates.
            The barbarians are always at the gates

I kinda envy the degree to which the French work to preserve their language sometimes... (As long as it's in France, and not here.)
            "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
            -Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
              The guys who use txt speak are going to suffer from a large disadvantage in their future.

Not really, most people who speak incorrectly are capable of speaking correctly when they need to. One of the most interesting conversations I ever witnessed was when BG and I had just started dating. She always spoke correct English around me, but one of her high school friends came up to visit and when they were talking, she started talking "Black."
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

There is one correct way to write a language in an academic setting.
                In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Yes, language changes, but we should be encouraging changes that broaden and expand our ability to communicate with one another. Allowing this 'text-speak' takes us in the opposite direction.
                  ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                  ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

I once had a colleague who sent me a whole email in text speak - I don't know whether they knew any better, but it looked hideous, and the person dropped in my esteem with that use of language. I wouldn't mind, on a keyboard it is just as quick to type the proper word rather than some stupid contraction of it. It looks infantile
                    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

In totally opposite news, a private school in Edinburgh is making its pupils use fountain pens.

BBC Link

Comment

What about phones that have T9 that automatically guesses the (usually) correct word you were trying to type? Entering in the word TXT on a phone keypad without T9 takes four button entries 8-9-9-8. Entering in the word TEXT on a T9 phone also takes only four entries 8-3-9-8. Did the officials take this tech advance into account before passing such s shortsighted policy? acogusfeuh2ws (acronmys can only get you so far eventually you have to write something)

Comment

T9 rocks I can afford to be anal about the spelling in my texts, and most of my friends now send texts that are correctly spelled as well
                          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

WTF Spiff?
                            In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

T9 r0xx0rZ Th4nK5 to T9, I cna Sp3|| |\/|y t3xT5 C0Rr3kLY

Comment

Working...
                              X