No announcement yet.

OMFG NZ pwnz u!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BC, and you'd be still wrong, even if it was true.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Sounds like an Onion article.
      In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
        BC, and you'd be still wrong, even if it was true.
        Yeah, I you too Pekka. As long as you disagree with me, I feel relaxed and know I'm on the right track - It's the times where you agree with me that scares the **** out of me .
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Impossible. I'm always right you see..
          In da butt.
          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Yep, that you are. Just a minor problem - you live in the pekkaverse
            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

The barbarians are at the gates.

Comment

There's another problem.. so do you. You are the little person walking around in my domain. The difference is, I let you walk around and let you think you are your own master. Because I am righteous. I don't go to childrens hospitals to scream there is no santa claus either. I am fair.
                In da butt.

Comment

Uhm, no, because then I would be a figment of your imagination, and I don't think that you are that much masochistic

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                    Yes it should be allowed, but only if they text speak correctly. If they misspell words and have bad text grammar, they should be marked down.
                    I agree with this.

Comment

Yeah this is all true, unfortunately. T'was gonna post this myself but didn't wanna embarass the country.

I agree with the evolution of language thing, but I do wonder if txt speak is the evolution of language and not just something that's only gonna be with us for a little while. I personally don't think it's a pragmatic move.

Heres an update:

The Government has given the big thumbs down to allowing pupils to use text message abbreviations in exam answers.

The criticism comes after Education Minister Steve Maharey was accused by opposition MPs of trying to be "cool" by allowing the mobile phone abbreviations.

National's education spokesman Bill English said accepting text language in New Zealand Qualifications Authority exams undermined standards and was misleading.

"The minister and the NZQA are more interested in trying to look cool than in ensuring high standards in the classroom," he said.

NZQA said yesterday that, though it discouraged pupils from using anything other than full English, credit would be given if the answer "clearly shows the required understanding" - including text speak.

But principals said they would not encourage pupils to use text abbreviations because of the risk that examiners would not understand.

In Parliament yesterday, Mr English and Mr Maharey traded blows over the issue.

Mr Maharey said using text language was not the way for pupils to pass exams.

"In using abbreviations, including text abbreviations, students run the risk that the examiner will not understand them and that they will fail."

Anyone who had experience of exams knew abbreviations had always been used, but students are "strongly encouraged to use correct grammar and language in their exam answers", Mr Maharey said.

After being hassled by opposition MPs for trying to be cool by allowing text language, he retaliated by pointing out Mr English's office had misspelt pidgin English as "pigeon English" in a press release.

Mr Maharey said Mr English would be given credit in an exam because the statement could be understood - "despite pidgin being spelt p-i-g-e-o-n, as in a bird from the dove family, rather than p-i-d-g-i-n, as in simplified language used between persons of a different nationality".

Comment

Originally posted by Flip McWho
                        I agree with the evolution of language thing, but I do wonder if txt speak is the evolution of language and not just something that's only gonna be with us for a little while. I personally don't think it's a pragmatic move.
                        Well, I guess that if you ban mobilephones, sms and internet, then you probably can make it an interlude, but if not, then it willl probably be the norm.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I said now. It's still too early to make a change like this.

I agree that this is probably the way the language is going but yeah, we should wait untill the generations older can all read/comprehend txt speak as well as the younger, and that it is here to stay rather than just a reflection of the current mode of remaining in contact.

Comment

can't find any "now" in your post.

I don't think that it is possible to wait until everybody is at same level - actually, that is impossible the young generation will always differ from the oldest.

I'm not sure, but I could be wrong on the last point. There have been some experiments with letting teenagers educate pensionists in using sms here. It have been quite succesfully, both in generations talking to each other and making it easier for the elders to accept/understand the new technology. Maybe they also appreciate the shortness of this "new language" due to their rheumatism

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Sorry, I shoulda said, it's not a pragmatic move right now.

But yeah, txt speak is mainly a product from sms, not really the internet, so it'll only be dominant whilst txting is the main form of communication. It's also only relatively new too.

Anyways, I agree with the reasoning given in the newsariticles, afterall you still have to use proper english in the appropriate courses, I just think it's too early personally.

Comment

we just had a huge revolt against this type of post modern tripe
                                Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Working...
                                X