Another game of MORNINGTON CRESCENT!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another game of MORNINGTON CRESCENT!

It's been quite a while gents that we played the most civilized of games, Mornington Crescent. Far too long. It seems the Apolyton Championships have lapsed into a biannual affair due to lack of caring... well we can't have that.

So a new game, using Lord Bunable's 1837 Special Andrew Jackson Rules (you know, the one that bans semi-lateral shunts? lateral shunts are ok, just the semi-lateral ones though are out of this variant). This variant introduces quite some interesting differences with vanilla MC, and should provide quite a cracking bit of entertainment.

Well, I best start us off. I'll use Francis Haymart's famous opening move in the Cold War Match of the Ages (just recently memorialized in the Mornington Crescent Hall of Fame) against Igor Kravcyak in 1965:

St. James Park
    Last edited by Imran Siddiqui; November 11, 2006, 02:49.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
    That's quite an interesting proposition, since the London Underground waited until 1863 to commence operation.

Comment

Crescent is a fun street in Montreal
      Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
        That's quite an interesting proposition, since the London Underground waited until 1863 to commence operation.
        Irrelevant.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Objection.

Comment

Overruled:

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

The name Mornington Crescent is commonly believed to originate from the name of a station on the London Underground system. However, recent research published by Sir Henry Frienitscher has conclusively demonstrated that the underground railway station in fact owes its name to the game, and not vice versa. The origins of Mornington Crescent (The Game) remain a controversial subject of debate. A predecessor of the game appears to have been played by Vikings in Norway and Denmark, and there is also evidence that a Empire Version was popular in the days of the Roman Emperor Nero. It flourished particularly in Medieval Britain, which might well explain why even today the British dominate the sport.

Now bugger off!
            Last edited by Imran Siddiqui; November 11, 2006, 02:58.

Comment

Well, I can't argue with that.. I retract my earlier comments, and apologize for unduely holding up the game.

Temple

(Hoping to enable the Lord Chesterton mandrake swap a little later on; it's much too seldomly seen despite it's sweeping success at both the '52 and '71 conventions).

Comment

I'll start off with a classic safe opening, which will hopefully allow a strategic start.

Waterloo

/me pats his collected works of Lord Mornington's Assembled Volumes of Mornington Crescent Rules and Revised Guidelines, including all 3000 player commentaries.
                Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Bank

(Safe as houses opening... hopefully)
                  Visit the Vote UK Discussion Forum!

Comment

I'm a bit rusty, so I'll play conservatively to start with.

Edgware

Comment

I've not actually played before, however, living in London I have extensive knowledge of the underground. So, as I'm more of a fluff player than a competition player, I'm going to go with my closest station, Manor House.

Or am I just pretending to be a newbie to lull you into a false sense of security?

Comment

Heathrow Terminal 4
                        www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

I'm utterly clueless about the London underground, so I'll go with what's Belgian and familiar: De Brouckère.
                          DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by Colon™
                            I'm utterly clueless about the London underground, so I'll go with what's Belgian and familiar: De Brouckère.
                            Now hang on a minute. Ignorance of the law is no defence. Under Lord Bunable's rules you must forfeit 1 Frozz token, move to Pimlico and change at Kings Cross next turn.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                              Overruled:

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

A predecessor of the game appears to have been played by Vikings in Norway and Denmark, and there is also evidence that a Empire Version was popular in the days of the Roman Emperor Nero..

Now bugger off!
                              Good refereeing.

Of course, game etiquette prohibs the use of phrases like "ZOMG, qual1ity pwn@ge", however appropriate they may be.

Comment

Working...
                              X