Jack Palance Dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack Palance Dead

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- Actor Jack Palance, who won an Oscar with his comedic self-parody in 1991's "City Slickers," died Friday.

He was 87, said spokesman Dick Guttman, and died of natural causes in his home in Montecito, California, surrounded by his family.

Known for hard, grizzled roles in numerous Westerns during his six-decade career, Palance gained a second wind of fame when he won the best supporting actor Oscar for playing Curly in "City Slickers."

The actor clutched his Oscar in one hand and dropped to the ground for a round of vigorous one-handed push-ups.

The Academy Awards crowd laughed and applauded as he said, "That's nothing, really. As far as two-handed push-ups, you can do that all night, and it doesn't make a difference whether she's there or not."

It was a magic moment that epitomized the actor's 40 years in films. Always the iconoclast, Palance had scorned most of his movie roles.

"Most of the stuff I do is garbage," he once told a reporter, adding that most of the directors he worked with were incompetent, too.

"Most of them shouldn't even be directing traffic," he said.

Palance was born Vladimir Palaniuk in Pennsylvania. His family was Ukrainian and his father was a coal miner.

He was a professional heavyweight boxer in the early 1940s, but his career in the ring was halted by a stint in the military.

Palance was wounded in World War II and received a Purple Heart.

His acting break came after the war as Marlon Brando's understudy in "Streetcar Named Desire." He replaced Brando on stage as Stanley Kowalski, a working class construction worker with a fierce temper in Tennessee Williams' classic play.

According to the Internet Movie Database, Brando asked the actor if he would work with him on a punching bag but wound up with a sore nose when Palance missed the bag and hit the superstar.

Palance's portrayal of Kowalski earned him a contract with 20th Century Fox, the IMDB says.

He went on to positive reviews in a film career that included "Young Guns" in 1988 and "Batman" in 1989.

Palance also made guest appearances on numerous television shows, such as "The Sonny and Cher Comedy Hour," "Playhouse 90" and "Your Show of Shows."

Palance was nominated for an Academy Award in 1952 after portraying the ardent lover who stalks a terrified Joan Crawford in "Sudden Fear." In 1953, the Academy nominated him again for his role as Jack Wilson, the swaggering gunslinger who bullies peace-loving Alan Ladd into a barroom duel in the Western classic "Shane."

Palance also won an Emmy Award, for a role on "Playhouse 90," in 1957.

He is survived by his wife, Elaine Rogers; two children by his first wife, Holly Palance and Brook Palance Wilding; his brother, John; sister, Anne Despiva; and three grandchildren.

He craps bigger than all of us.
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

One of the Tough guys
      Attached Files
      Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Dammit - missed this thread and just found out otherwise.

RIP, and thank you for many good times
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Everytime I think of Palance, I can't help thinking of that one scene he did with Rod Steiger.

They were Hollywood bigshots. The script called for Steiger to threaten, "You're going to lose all this!" and then for Palance to react by slapping him.

Steiger embellished, roaring something like: "See this house?! You going to lose it! And your cars? Gone! The women? Gone! Your money? Gone! The respect people pay you? Gone! Your power, your prestige? Gone! All gone!!" As Steiger turned to stride from the room, Palance grabbed him and spun him back around. Steiger suddenly realized that Palance was going to slap him for real, and slap him really hard. You see him tense up, shutting his eyes, waiting for the blow.

And Palance chuckles and taps him with the ends of his fingers.

--What a marvel two great actors can create.

Comment

4 replies (including mine) in nearly 4 days. Yep, that's about right. Hup! looka me, 1 armed pushups, ahyup.

Comment

I always loved Palance. One of my favorite actors of all time.
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Er...I remember him making the best of really lame lines in "Tango and Cash." And in pretty much the same role but with better lines in "Batman." I'm afraid that's it.
                1011 1100
                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

He was in Batman?
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

The 1989 Batman starring Keaton and Basinger, yes. He was "Carl Grisham," IIRC. The crime boss who betrayed Jack Napier, causing him to become the Joker in the chemical accident.
                    1011 1100
                    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

VOLTAN!!!!! You will DIE by this sword!!!!!

The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

He fought (and lost on points to) a fighter named Joe Baski who was a genuine world class heavyweight. He must have been some fighter to even mix in that sort of company.

Comment

Montecito is a very nice rural area outside of Santa Barbara. I used to go hiking there but the people who do live there tend to be extremely wealthy. When JFK got married he and Jackie went to Montecito for their honeymoon. Just gives you an idea of the type of money there.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa Troll
                            One of the Tough guys
                            I love the story behind that picture. Jack Palance went in to audition for the part of Curly in the original City Slickers movie and some of the people asked him if he wasn't to old. They thought a guy in his 70's wasn't up to doing a cowboy movie. So Jack jumps down on the floor and does twenty one armed push ups right there on the stage.

No one questioned him about his age after that.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Palance was a great bad guy. He is really magnificent in Shane. He personifies the armed bully displaying contempt for what he takes to be a farmer. Good stuff!
                              No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                              "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Working...
                              X