Catholic nun gets 30 years for Rwanda genocide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flip McWho

Just as if you're a nazi it gives a higher probability that you'll hate jews and black people enough to do something insane.

Heck any ideology will do so when it makes a distinction between an us and a them, and makes the them less than human. Religion isn't any more dangerous than any other ideology, it's just been the most dominant throughout history.
    There is actually a difference - none of the "human made" isms claim that "if you do this and that" then your soul is saved and god will grant you eternal life etc.

Granted, there are lots of examples of people doing insane things in the name of some ism, but they are lower than those based on religion. (that is a bit general, because I really can't find any logic in the pol pot hell )
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Heresson

I agree that not being religious doesn't necessarily mean that You are a nazie/commie/pp supporter, but your "quite" contrary remark make no sense...
      But it actually do. If you are able to se the lies and idiocy of religion, then there are a higher probability that you can see the same in some ism.
      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

I love that logic. Certain atheists ran repressive societies, so their societies are much like those based on religion.
        I really don't think that atheistic societies are perfect, and some that have existed have been pretty horirfic.

I could just as easily say that nice athiestic liberal and social democracies are just like those based on religion, since the essence of religion is love and non-violence. Those religious groups that murder are basically atheist, since they ignore G-ds word, despite their professions of belief and active ritual lives.
        Ehrr, no. They actually think that they do what their god demands of a true beliver. It doesn't matter that other of the same belief says that they doesn't follow the true way, because in their mind, they do. Actually, they often say that the peacefull acolytes betray their god.

How about just accept that this is human behavior and is orthogonal to religion?
        You are partially right, but religion is a part of the equation and one wich has a tendency to make it worse.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat

There is actually a difference - none of the "human made" isms claim that "if you do this and that" then your soul is saved and god will grant you eternal life etc.

Granted, there are lots of examples of people doing insane things in the name of some ism, but they are lower than those based on religion. (that is a bit general, because I really can't find any logic in the pol pot hell )

So, some human isms promise rewards in this life, eternal fame and glory, and a "better world", all of which can be just as motivating as eternal life, apparently.

And in the brief history of isms in the west, they have as bad a record as religion, or worse.
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat
            Ehrr, no. They actually think that they do what their god demands of a true beliver. It doesn't matter that other of the same belief says that they doesn't follow the true way, because in their mind, they do. Actually, they often say that the peacefull acolytes betray their god.
            Well yes, thats true, literally, they beleive in God. But then literally the Stalinists, for ex, dont. So if you can say that Stalinist society is "like" religious society cause it shares some attributes with it, I can say that oppressive religious society is actually "like" atheist society in that it shares some attributes with it.
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Working...
            X