Catholic nun gets 30 years for Rwanda genocide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catholic nun gets 30 years for Rwanda genocide

Say what you will about Catholics, but this woman most certainly is NOT Catholic, or any other form of Christian. Or Human, for that matter.

Catholic nun gets 30 years for Rwanda genocide

By ANTHONY MITCHELL, Associated Press Writer Fri Nov 10, 10:43 AM ET

NAIROBI, Kenya - A Catholic nun has been sentenced to 30 years in jail for helping militias kill hundreds of people hiding in a hospital during Rwanda's 1994 genocide, an official said Friday.

Theophister Mukakibibi was sentenced by a traditional gacaca court for helping Hutu militiamen to kill ethnic Tutsis seeking refuge from the slaughter in Butare hospital, where she worked.

"She was responsible for selecting Tutsis and would throw them out of the hospital and the militia would then kill them," said Jean Baptiste Ndahumba, president of the local gacaca court in Butare town. "This nun was organizing people to be killed." She was jailed Thursday.

She would also hold regular meetings with Hutu extremist groups and denied food to Tutsis hiding in the hospital, he said by telephone. About 20 people testified against her, he added.

In the massacre, 100,000 people were killed in the southeastern prefecture of Butare.

A number of Hutu Catholic and Protestant church leaders are alleged to have played significant roles in the east African nation's 100-day massacre. More than a half-million Tutsis and moderate Hutus were killed by the militia, orchestrated by the extremist Hutu government then in power. The genocide ended when Tutsi rebels toppled the government.

The gacaca courts are intended to speed up the genocide trials and are separate from the conventional judicial system. With nine judges from the local community, the traditional courts were also established to help heal divisions but can impose life sentences.

Some 63,000 genocide suspects are detained in Rwanda, and justice authorities say that at least 761,000 people should stand trial for their role in the slaughter and chaos that came with it. The suspects represent 9.2 percent of Rwanda's estimated 8.2 million people.

A U.N. tribunal based in neighboring Tanzania is trying those accused of masterminding the genocide in Rwanda. Three members of the clergy have appeared at the tribunal.

In 2001, two Rwandan Catholic nuns were convicted by a Belgian court for aiding and abetting the mass murders. A Roman Catholic priest is on trial before the Tanzania-based U.N. tribunal, accused of ordering the slaughter of 2,000 people who sought refuge in his church.

Rwanda's genocide began hours after a plane carrying President Juvenal Habyarimana was mysteriously shot down as it approached the capital, Kigali, on the evening of April 6, 1994. The leader was returning from power-sharing talks with Tutsi-led rebels.

The genocide ended after rebels, led by current President Paul Kagame, ousted the extremist Hutu government that had orchestrated the slaughter.
    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Say hello to Bubba
    So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
    Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Does Rwanda have female prisons?

Comment

Why? You want to volunteer being rapist guard?
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Let's open a "How should the Catholic nurse be raped?" thread.
          DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

By large African males, duh!
            So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
            Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Everyone speaks about this nun and a priest. But there were catholic priests who refused to point out the ones who were supposed to be killed and were killed themselves, too. Sadly there are some evil people even among the ones that should commit themselves to God, but that is just one side of the story
              "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
              I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
              Middle East!

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                Why? You want to volunteer being rapist guard?
                I realize it's been a while since I've posted at WTF is Eventis?, but you do know I'm gay right?

Comment

Yes. So what?
                  In da butt.
                  "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Re: Catholic nun gets 30 years for Rwanda genocide

Originally posted by DRoseDARs
                    this woman most certainly is NOT Catholic, or any other form of Christian. Or Human, for that matter.

Rascist.
                    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                      Yes. So what?
                      Why would I, a gay man, want to be a rapist guard at a female prison?

Comment

togglecaps, you know Pekka's actually going to answer that question, right? Now look what you've done.

Comment

What can I say? I'm feeling nostalgic for WTF is Eventis?.

Comment

Kuci is right, I'll answer that for you.

You are a pervert. We all know this. Gay men are perverts, sexual predators. So, when you say you are a gay male, you are also saying you are a sexual predator, possibly a sex criminal as well.

Besides, it isn't about romance, it's about power. So you want to project that power by raping all these women, and then you even say to them, 'listen girls, I'm not even into you, I'm a gay man. How do you like that? I enjoy your fear, I enjoy your pain, I am a sexual predator who was let loose by the government.' ....

So don't ask why would you do that. Besides, you already asked if there are prisons for women, so I guess you know, I'm not the one who should be talking about your sick fantasies. I reckon they did some bad things, evil things, but I don't see how you're going to make the situation any better by sodomizing them. How is that going to help?
                            In da butt.

Comment

Pekka

Comment

Working...
                              X