Post here if you volunteered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post here if you volunteered

For anything election-related. Orphanage and animal shelter workers are welcome to start their own thread.

I just got back from holding signs for my cousin at one of the poll sites. I know, politicking at a site is illegal, but there is a line at 100 feet from the building past which it is okay. About fifteen people stayed the whole day holding signs and handing out cards, and one man brought his grill and cooked hot dogs. The city candidates spent most of the day driving around town to all the places, and the state candidates, well, stayed in Little Rock because we're in the bag for them anyway.

This election has been the first real one in Camden in ages, and around 5:00 turnout already matched that in 2004 (since which we have probably lost another 3-5% population). On top of that, I think this could be a record year for early voting as well. There are several heated races this time around, and all the candidates have done a lot to get votes. I doubt a single football game or church service has been free of the hand shaking and talking points. It makes me glad it's almost over.

Unless, God forbid, a runoff...
    meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Congrats, mitchell. Good luck to cuz.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Personal participation is always good. I've been an election official 10-12 times, appointed by my party, for various elections and referendums. It basically involves taking voters' certificates, checking them off the list and handing out the ballots. Also assisted in the counting to get the results reported to the Ministry of the Interior. It's a 15 hour job, but I've always enjoyed it, not least the aspect of getting together with the other officials from various parties. A bit of fraternising on special occasions never hurt anyone.

Comment

Pete Ashdown
        Helping him

Wasting time
        Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
        Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Go breathe, Tass.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I used to volunteer at an animal shelter. Dogs are way more deserving of my time and effort than politicians.

Comment

dogs

Comment

Originally posted by ajbera
                Dogs are way more deserving of my time and effort than politicians.
                All my favorite politicians are either now termed out or lost in the primaries.

I had Cesar Chavez's granddaughter running in my Assembly district. You have to respect a candidate who brags about how many times she's been arrested for civil disobedience. Plus, she's hot.

Comment

I volunteer to hold a voting booth in every election.
                  And I have been involved for my party in almost all campaigns for years now.
                  Last edited by Spiffor; November 8, 2006, 16:02.
                  "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                  "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                  "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

All my favorite politicians are either now termed out or lost in the primaries.

I had Cesar Chavez's granddaughter running in my Assembly district. You have to respect a candidate who brags about how many times she's been arrested for civil disobedience. Plus, she's hot.
                    You Sir, are a menace - claims that she is hot and not a tiny little pic of her
                    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Working...
                    X