Saddam urges Iraqis not to take revenge on U.S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saddam urges Iraqis not to take revenge on U.S

Former leader urges countrymen to 'unify in face of' strife, his lawyer says

AMMAN, Jordan - Saddam Hussein urged Iraqis on Sunday to reject the sectarian violence ripping his country apart and to "not take revenge" on U.S. invaders, his chief lawyer said after the ousted leader was sentenced to death.

"The message from President Saddam to his people came during a meeting in Baghdad this morning, just before the so-called Iraqi court issued its verdict in his trial," Khalil al-Dulaimi told The Associated Press in a telephone interview from Baghdad.

"His message to the Iraqi people was 'pardon and do not take revenge on the invading nations and their people'," al-Dulaimi said, quoting Saddam.

"The president also asked his countrymen to 'unify in the face of sectarian strife'," the lawyer added.

Saddam and two other men on Sunday were convicted and sentenced to death by hanging for war crimes in the 1982 killings of 148 people in the town of Dujail. The former Iraqi leader shouted out in the court, condemning what he called the occupation of Iraq by U.S.-and British-led coalition forces.

'The trial was politically motivated'
    Al-Dulaimi said Saddam "knew that he would be sentenced to death and wanted me to pass on this message to the Iraqi people and to the whole world after the verdict was announced."

"The president said that 'Saddam Hussein won't be defeated. It's the men of Persia and those of the United States who will be'," al-Dulaimi said. "He said the people will remain strong and steadfast."

Al-Dulaimi condemned Saddam's trial as a "farce," alleging that the verdict was pre-planned, unfair and null and said defense attorneys planned to appeal the verdict within 30 days, as Iraqi law stipulates.

"Since day one, we said the trial was politically motivated 100 percent and that it's completely illegal," he said. "The defense voice was not allowed to be heard at all."

Saddam's lawyer also claimed that the security situation in Baghdad after the verdict was "very dangerous."

"Iranian intelligence and U.S. invaders are patrolling around. There's nobody else on the streets," al-Dulaimi said.

"The people, around 7 million Iraqis, have been kicked out of their homes, the streets are all sealed off; Baghdad looks like a ghost town," he said.

Strange. He makes it sound like the US and Iran are a tag team.

The real struggle in the region is now between Iran and the US. Iraq is a battle ground.
    Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Originally posted by techumseh
      The real struggle in the region is now between Iran and the US. Iraq is a battle ground.
      Maybe that's what he meant, and feared that a struggle against the US would hand Iraq to Iran.

Comment

Oh sure, tell them not to do it. You know it's going to be the first thing they do now.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
          Maybe that's what he meant, and feared that a struggle against the US would hand Iraq to Iran.
          Seemingly it has happened as Al-Maliki is very much in the Al-Sadr camp, which Iran has little problems with.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Interesting thought.. in a scenario where US and Iran go all out, what happens to Iraq?

They're clearly in a situation where they have to choose Iran or US. I bet they'll choose Iran for safety reasons, they live next to the buggers. Some day US will leave but Iran will still be there and the day of reckonign is then, you don't want to be the cousin who turned transvestite.

Of course it can go either way but it's an interesting question none of the less.
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

So Finland will side with Russia if the excrement ever hits the air conditioning?
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

They're clearly in a situation where they have to choose Iran or US. I bet they'll choose Iran for safety reasons, they live next to the buggers.

There's the little problem of > 100,000 US soldiers currently in Iraq...

Comment

Well that of course depends on the scenario. But we are neighbours so that surely plays into decision making.
                  In da butt.
                  "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                  THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                  "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Dead Tyrant Talking. Gotta love it.

Comment

Working...
                    X