No announcement yet.

Working For A Living

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a small family type business. Small businesses never have the benefits big companies do.

But I got a bonus (only a gift certificate, but I'll take it) one of the managers and general manager last weekend. They aren't even in my chain of command (I'm a tech, I don't work for the individual managers). It's nice to work for a place that appreciates your work. When I worked for a big company I was pretty much ignored, and never got any recognition. But I'd be getting 3 weeks of vacation a year if I stayed.

And I can take vacation, I just won't get paid for it. I'll probably take some time off next year.

Comment

Dis, you shouldn't try to convince a eurocom that understanding towards an employer may be warranted. God forbid there's even loyalty.
      DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by Drogue

I get 7 (or will when I start the job)
        I get 7.3 (37 days), a 35 hour week and a 12 minute commute by bicycle.

I recently figured out how to do a long weekend for using just a half day by driving into work for 8am (I can park opposite my office for the equivalent of 24p/hr) and leaving direct from the office at 11:30am. Usually we're too lazy in the morning that we don't leave before noon anyway...

I figure I could do 74 long weekends a year not including public holidays...
        Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Um, you know there are only 52 weekends a year, right?
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Loyalty if deserved, yes, but the fact is, we work to live, not live to work...well I do anyway...
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

God forbid an employer actually fire someone, though.

Oh wait, you're from Britain, not France. I assume things are a little better there.

Comment

Depends on the grounds. If legitimate then yes, dismissal should be acceptable. I dislike a lazy sh*t as much as the next person. But without any level of protection for the worker in there, the law can be abused and used as leverage against someone.
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

An employer who fires a competent employee only because he holds a personal dislike is shooting himself in the foot.
                  DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Well everyone gets hurt. But at the end of the day, the company will cope whereas a persons life can easily be shattered by something like this.
                    Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Hence the reason I haven't been around much. My boss seems to think that GMPs and ISO regulations are merely "guidelines" (whereas it's more like laws) and that calling women skirts and broads is acceptable behavior. One of my coworkers quit a few weeks ago and called that arsehole out. HR called everyone in, and I told the truth, supposidly in confidence. Apparently it wasn't. My boss is now trying to fire me because he is a liability. Corporate "spyware" has since appeared on my work computer and my boss hasn't spoken to me in over 2 weeks. Hmmmm, I wonder.

Whatever, though. I had an interview with a much better company the week after I ratted out my boss' behavior. I didn't get the job, they hired internally, but they liked me so much that they sent me 3 other jobs they thought I would be suited for. I interview for those jobs on Monday. I asked for 50% increase in pay and another week of vacation and they didn't baulk. One of the jobs hasn't even appeared on their website and uses a lot of adjetives that I used in the resume I gave to them. All I need now is not to put my foot in my mouth.
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                        Um, you know there are only 52 weekends a year, right?
                        Are you deliberately preying on my incredibly low opinions on the mental capacities of Poly posters...?
                        Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

"Who cares how much money you make if your gonna be some hairy 40 something year old dangly balled twit before you can have any fun again!!"

If you already are "some hairy 40 something year old dangly balled twit before you can have any fun again!!" guy, then you care.
                          Long time member @ Apolyton
                          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus Rex
                            I get 4 weeks here in the US

of course it took 12+ years in the same job to get it
                            My wife gets 22 vacation days, 3 personal days and 10 sick days and she started 3 months ago.

Oh, and her employer puts an additional 7.5% of her salary into a retirement plan.
                            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Killing it is the new killing it
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Colonâ„¢
                              An employer who fires a competent employee only because he holds a personal dislike is shooting himself in the foot.
                              That is the case; however when you are in a large organisation at a non-management level, it is most often middle management that are making the decisions that affect your job and there are quite a lot of people who will abuse their position to satisfy their own grudges and prejudices. Unfair dismissal laws help in that regard by ensuring that companies have decent HR policies.

Comment

Working...
                              X