New rig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New rig

I'm about to buy, but please discuss before I do!

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2.13Ghz
    Asus P5B Deluxe iP965 Motherboard (with integrated WiFi)
    GeIL 2GB PC6400 800MHz DDR2 @ CAS 4-4-4-12
    250 Gb Samsung Spinpoint P120 Hard Disk
    ATI Radeon X1950 Pro w/ 256Mb DDRIII @ 600/1400 (Core/Mem), with Arctic Cooling Accelero cooler attached
    600W Seasonic modular PSU
    Antec P180 Case with 5x120mmØ fans + 1x80mmØ fan
    T-Balancer BigNG cooling controller (uses digital and analogue sensors to automatically control fan speeds... very cool)

22" Widescreen LCD Monitor @ 1680 x 1050, 5ms response time

For a self-build, a snip at £1236.17.

I fancy adding a Creative X-FI sound card with some decent speakers such as the Logitech Z-5500 but the budget won't stretch the additional £300 that'd cost me. The integrated HD Audio will do me just fine, I'll add more kit when I can afford it after Xmas.

I'm also a little concerned that the GPU won't have enough grunt to support the monitor. I'm going to be playing Need for Speed: Most Wanted and Carbon (when the latter's released), CivIV, Flight Simulator X, Quake 4, F.E.A.R., Prey, Medieval 2: Total War and Unreal Tournament 2007 (again, when it's released). Would the card be enough for this?

Bare in mind it's quiet, but I'm getting a good deal on the GPU at £152.74 inc VAT including the silent cooler, but my budget will stretch to £200.00 for graphics, and I wont upgrade for at least 12 months until DX10 hardware matures.
    "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
    "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

It's not a "rig", its a computer. Stop trying to make it sound cool you geek!!

Comment

Oil rig?
      www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

A convenient source of lubricant
        "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
        "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

So you rigged yourself a new one?

Hey, congrats.

Comment

Nice. I just (as in, last week), built a very similar rig:

Core 2 Duo E6600
            Abit AW9D-MAX mobo
            G.Skill DDR2 800 4-4-4-12@2.0V
            MSI GeForce 7600GT w/ HDCP
            WD Raptor 10k 150GB
            A couple of storage drives

I need the HDCP for my HDTV (want to run HD-DVD/Bluray eventually).

If you're going with Allendale (E6300 and E6400), then that mobo is a good choice - P965 OC's better than 975X, even if the 975X outperforms at the same FSB. You should be able to reach some high clocks with good cooling. TBH, I've never heard of that cooler, but the Tuniq Tower 120, Scythe Ninja Plus, and SP-128 are all top-quality coolers.

I managed to take my E6600 up to 3.4GHz (9x280) - I was actually stable at 3500+, but I didn't want to run my VCore >1.4V for a 24/7 system. My RAM's purring at 1:1 with tight timings (4-4-3-6 @1.95V ).

As for sound card, I'd highly recommend any of the Auzentech cards. The X-Mystique is great, and cheap - think of it as an X-Fi without the proprietary EAX 3 extensions (which only work in some games, anyway). It encodes/decodes even better than the X-Fi according to some reviews, and has quality DACs.
            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Park Avenue
              Oil rig?
              How are you PA? Long time.....

Comment

Odd. This sort of talk wouldn't seem so lame if it were about car, rather than computer, parts.
                1011 1100
                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by reds4ever

How are you PA? Long time.....
                  OK - on night shift in new job
                  www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

LOL!! Busy busy.......thats nightshifts for you!!

Comment

Hectic mate! The coffee and trance is keeping me awake
                      www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Don't listen to the "Blue Room" on Radio 1. It starts about 5 am and just fooks your head up until its time to go to bed.

Comment

Kiss has taken a turn for the worse
                          www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Re: New rig

Originally posted by Whaleboy

22" Widescreen LCD Monitor @ 1680 x 1050, 5ms response time

For a self-build, a snip at £1236.17.

I'm also a little concerned that the GPU won't have enough grunt to support the monitor. I'm going to be playing Need for Speed: Most Wanted and Carbon (when the latter's released), CivIV, Flight Simulator X, Quake 4, F.E.A.R., Prey, Medieval 2: Total War and Unreal Tournament 2007 (again, when it's released). Would the card be enough for this?
                            I don't see why it wouldn't be, although you may need to compromise a bit on settings for some games - fear prey and ut07 (frame rates don't matter so much in flight sim)... given that dx10 cards will be out soon, with a range of new games supporting it (starting with flight sim x) you'll probably want one of them pretty quickly anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Park Avenue
                              Kiss has taken a turn for the worse
                              Does John Digweed still do Saturday nights on Kiss 100?
                              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Working...
                              X