Computer help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer help needed

I'm running Ubuntu Edgy , and I'd like to find out whether the graphics card on my machine is a nVidia GeForce 6600 or a 6600 GT . How do I do that ? And which of these can be used as SLI ? What is this "SLI connector" the nVidia site talks about ?

Is there any way to find out this same information in Windows XP ?

Comment

1) Start -> Run -> msinfo32.exe will get you the systems info window.
      2) Components -> Display will show you your graphics card info.

The SLI connector is a proprietary link between GPUs that transmits synchronization, display, and pixel data. The SLI connector enables inter-GPU communication of up to 1GB/s, consuming no bandwidth over the PCI Express bus. The SLI connector is not used with some mainstream graphics cards. These graphics cards pass inter-GPU data through the PCI-Express bus, instead of through the SLI connector. For these mainstream GPUs, there is enough excess bandwidth across the PCI Express bus to effectively manage this additional communication. More powerful GPUs require the SLI connector to achieve optimal scaling results.

Note that you have to have a certified NVIDIA nForce SLI-based motherboard and at least a 6600GT Graphics cards to use this. Note also that the graphics cards must match, i.e a 6600 GT must have a 6600 GT partner and so on. Different manufacturers are no problem however. Using the latest Release 80 or later graphics drivers, NVIDIA GPUs sold by different manufacturers can be used together in an SLI configuration. For example, a GeForce 6600 GT from vendor ABC can be matched with a GeForce 6600 GT from vendor XYZ.

More on SLI at http://www.slizone.com/page/slizone_faq.html
      I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

nvm

Comment

lspci

(also, careful reading of /var/log/Xorg.0.log and the output of dmesg might help)
          This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Thanks . Seems it's a 6600 . I'll have to upgrade my cards .

Comment

I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Working...
              X