Longevity breakthrough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Longevity breakthrough

Your scientists have discovered Longevity. What do you research next?

The U.S. Government has been quietly investing about $1 billion per annum in aging research and development. After only a short time, it looks like the effort may be paying handsome dividends. In this case, 10-20% lifespan improvement in mice from a substance contained in wine that mimics low-calorie intake. It has long been known that low-calorie intake increases longevity.

From Reuters...

Red wine molecule helps mice live longer

By Patricia Reaney
    Reuters
    Wednesday, November 1, 2006; 11:08 AM

LONDON (Reuters) - A compound found in red wine and grapes can extend the life-span of obese mice and help them enjoy a healthier old age, scientists said on Wednesday.

The molecule known as resveratrol not only enabled the mice to live longer than other overweight rodents, it also reduced the negative health effects of eating a high-calorie diet.

Resveratrol has been shown to have same effect in studies on yeast, flies and worms but the scientists said their research is the first to show it works in mammals.

"It is possible to find a molecule that activates the body's natural defenses against aging. You can use it to enhance the health of a mouse or mammal. That is unprecedented," said David Sinclair, of Harvard Medical School in Boston, Massachusetts.

He added that the study, reported in the journal Nature, is proof of the principle that it works in mammals. But the real test will be to develop formulations or find other molecules to treat age-related illnesses such as diabetes, Alzheimer's, heart disease and cancer in humans.

"The goal here is within the next few years to know it is possible to treat diseases in man," he told Reuters.

HEALTH BENEFITS

Researchers already know that restricting calories can prolong life in mice and other organisms. Resveratrol seems to mimic the beneficial effects of eating less without the hassle of dieting.

Sinclair and an international team of scientists analyzed the impact of molecule by studying three groups of middle-aged mice. One group ate a standard diet. The second was fed a high-calorie diet and the third had the same diet but were given supplements of resveratrol.

Eight weeks after starting the study, the scientists noticed a difference between the two high-calorie groups. By the time the mice were 114 weeks old, 58 percent in the high-calorie group had died, compared to 42 percent in the other groups.

"After six months, resveratrol essentially prevented most of the negative effects of the high-calorie diet in mice," said Rafael de Cabo, a co-author of the study from the National Institute on Aging in the United States.

The study is continuing but so far the compound has extended the life-span in the high-calorie mice by about 10-20 percent.

"There is no question that we are seeing increased longevity," said Sinclair.

In addition to increasing survival, the compound reduced the negative effects of being obese so the mice treated with resveratrol lived as long as the lean mice.

They had healthier heart and liver tissue, decreased blood sugar levels, better insulin sensitivity and were more active than the other rodents.

When the scientists looked at the genetic level, to see which genes in the mice were switched on or off, they found the molecule had changed the gene expression pattern of the obese mice toward that of a lean mouse.

The next step is to understand how the compound works.

Sinclair and his colleagues believe a key component could be the SIRT1 gene which is thought to be linked to life-span extension.

Sirtris Pharmaceuticals, a therapeutics company co-founded by Sinclair, has started a trial of a proprietary formulation of resveratrol in patients with Type 2 diabetes.

"The real bang will be if somebody proves this is going to work in people," Sinclair added.

(editing by Steve Addison, Reuters Messaging: patricia.reaney.reuters.com@reuters.net))
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

from a substance contained in wine

More proof that alcoholic drinks are good for you .
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

What difference does it make how long we live. We'll still be dead for forever. Even with the immortality drug, given enough time, we'll all die from accidents.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Bachus

Comment

I at least want to experience our first colony on Mars.
          DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Oh, man. I don't want to live another 25 years extra.
            I already won't be able to retire, and who's going to hire an 85 year old?
            Hooray, scientists.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Accidents would become negligible if we could upload our conciousness into some kind of storage device.

Perhaps every evening before sleep, you save your mind onto your harddrive. If the next day you die in a car accident, then your body is cloned, and your mind promptly downloaded into fresh, new brain.

Some might argue that such an arrangement would be akin to death, as you as an individual died - what comfort is it if a clone carries on your existence for you? But that is not so, because the downloaded mind would be you in every way - it would inherit all your memories, emotions, beliefs etc. IT IS YOU! We all experience interruptions to our consciousness when we sleep - no different to dying and having your mind downloaded into a new body.

Troubles might arise if the same mind was able to live simultaneously in two or more bodies though.
              Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

Let us, then, develop the ability to assimilate nature to turn it into a computer and upload ourselves into the universe
                Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

You need to get out more, Tass.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

So beer is good and wine is good.

If only we could mix the two. Bewine? Or Wier?
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I think all of you missed the fact that this has only been shown to work for obese mice.

There's no evidence that this actually extends natural lifespans; rather, it seems to simply mitigate the effects of being overweight. For those of us who stay in shape this has no bearing at all.
                      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Killing it is the new killing it
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Woooo... for us fatties, it kicks ass!!!

(if we can )
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

We can, just not for very long.
                          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

From what I've read the "caloric restriction effect" come into play at something like 60-80% of what considered a "normal" calorie intake. Given current obesety levels we knoe the majority of the population is above normal and I would suspect a vanishingly small percent is already in the caloric restriction range by its own device. Thus this could prove usefull for most of the whole population assuming the study ment mice on significant calorie restriction when they say "lean mice" and not simply normal mice that are comparitivly leaner then the fat mice.
                            Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

McDonald's To Start Serving Wine with Value Meals.

"Not only will we be providing a healthier alternative, but we'll also be drawing a more sophisticated crowd," said Jim Skinner, CEO.

"How can a 'Value Meal' cost 20 bucks?!" exclaimed Jeanine Doggit, customer.

"Do I know you? Yeah, I know you! You're that guy! Hey, that guy!" said someone calling himself Mr. Fizz.

"Now Daddy won't leave," lamented Julie Moore, age 5.
                              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                              X