Freedom of speech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freedom of speech

The Danish cartoons of Prophet Mohammad are an example of freedom of speeech.

Last year's publication of caricatures of the Prophet Mohammad in Danish and other European newspapers angered a particular kind of Muslims worldwide.

As a retaliation, Iran's best-selling newspaper, Hamshahri, launched a competition in February to find the best cartoon about the Holocaust, in which 6 million Jews were killed by the Nazis.

America's Founding Fathers, knowing the world to be far from ideal, held freedom of speech as inviolable precisely for the positive exploration and exchange of ideas that it can foster.

I wanted to see the Danish cartoons, and I found them online.

I want to see the Iranian Holocaust cartoons, and I cant.

Is someone manipulating the Net?

---
    The point is: I want my freedom of information.
    No one, I repeat, no one, should tell me what to think, what to see, or what to read.

Ming can.

Comment

Flash!! Where are you, Flash Gordon!?

Comment

In Mingapulco.

Spec.
        -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

this is the paper that was going to publish them, IIUC

Im unable to read farsi, so I really cant help you navigate the site.

I presume that no part of that site is blocked.

I dont know if any western sources are reprinting the cartoons. They are of course under no obligation to, just as many papers did not reprint the Jyllands Posten cartoons.
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Mingapulco rules the Net!!

Comment

The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

Re: Freedom of speech

Originally posted by carnide_
                The Danish cartoons of Prophet Mohammad are an example of freedom of speeech.

Last year's publication of caricatures of the Prophet Mohammad in Danish and other European newspapers angered a particular kind of Muslims worldwide.

As a retaliation, Iran's best-selling newspaper, Hamshahri, launched a competition in February to find the best cartoon about the Holocaust, in which 6 million Jews were killed by the Nazis.

America's Founding Fathers, knowing the world to be far from ideal, held freedom of speech as inviolable precisely for the positive exploration and exchange of ideas that it can foster.

I wanted to see the Danish cartoons, and I found them online.

I want to see the Iranian Holocaust cartoons, and I cant.

---
                The point is: I want my freedom of information.
                No one, I repeat, no one, should tell me what to think, what to see, or what to read.
                I'm not sure your hat is working quite right. Maybe you need some more foil...

Comment

Re: Freedom of speech

Originally posted by carnide_

Fine, as long as you do what I tell you to do.
                  Blah

Comment

"You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Unbelievable!
                      Blah

Comment

Well, they seem to suffer from internet attacks however. irancartoon.com doesn't work, despite it being the official English-speaking page for the event. And when you put "holocaust cartoon", your first hit is a hostile page (which has done a google bomb), the seconf hit is the non-functioning page, and you get news after that. The farsi page (the one that works) isn't easily found.
                        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                          Well, they seem to suffer from internet attacks however. irancartoon.com doesn't work, despite it being the official English-speaking page for the event. And when you put "holocaust cartoon", your first hit is a hostile page (which has done a google bomb), the seconf hit is the non-functioning page, and you get news after that. The farsi page (the one that works) isn't easily found.

There are a lot of negative references. Je ne suis par surpris. I mean freedom of speech works both ways. As for internet attacks, from what I can gather there are many internet attacks launched against "the enemies of Islam". If we got upset over every one of them ......

Ya, know, if you want your freedom of what to read, maybe you shouldnt rely on the internet, a medium that IS subject to denial of service attacks, google bombs, and all kinds of manipulation. Maybe you should go out and buy a newspaper. If you want an Iranian paper, go to an international newsstand - and just buy one.

Of course if you dont read farsi, thats too bad. If you think there are things printed in Iran that you need access to, that arent often reprinted, maybe you should learn Farsi.
                          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I don't get upset about it. Google bombs belong to the ordinary PR tactics on Internet. Criticisms on these cartoons are welcome, and I even had my shot at them.

My contention is with DOS attacks. IMO, they're an attack against freedom of speech indeed. Sure, the government isn't the one that does the censorship, but the DOS attacker can bully someone into internet silence. I'm against this for the same reasons I'm against vigilantism.

Hamshahri wanted to create an international event, that goes beyond the borders of Iran, and beyond the Farsi language. And there were many contestants from all countries indeed. As I looked at their gallery, I don't remember having seen any cartoon whose language wasn't English (except for one cartoon from the Moroccan, who wrote "democratie" with its French spelling). As a result, the attacks that silence its international website is a denial of their freedom of speech IMO.

The reason I replied in this thread is because carnide was laughed at by the usual suspects, depite his point having some validity IMO.
                            Last edited by Spiffor; November 2, 2006, 15:26.
                            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                              Don't get me wrong, I don't get upset about it. Google bombs belong to the ordinary PR tactics on Internet. Criticisms on these cartoons are welcome, and I even had my shot at them.

My contention is with DOS attacks. IMO, they're an attack against freedom of speech indeed. Sure, the government isn't the one that does the censorship, but the DOS attacker can bully someone into internet silence. I'm against this for the same reasons I'm against vigilantism.

Hamshahri wanted to create an international event, that goes beyond the borders of Iran, and beyond the Farsi language. And there were many contestants from all countries indeed. As I looked at their gallery, I don't remember having seen any cartoon whose language wasn't English (except for one cartoon from the Moroccan, who wrote "democratie" with its French spelling). As a result, the attacks that silence its international website is a denial of their freedom of speech IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not upset about it. The reason I replied in this thread is because carnide was laughed at by the usual suspects, depite his point having some validity IMO.
                              Like I said, DOS attacks are all over the place. Ive occasionally read some sites that discuss the WOT from a rather less friendly to Islam tone, than youd like, and they have been repeatedly taken down. Thats part of the internet, as far as I can tell. Its not always a friendly place.

There are other places to see the cartoons - IIUC a humor weekly in France has offered to publish them. Heck theres a thread here at poly put up by some of polys more conservative types that has them. Some DOS attacks on one Iranian site do not a conspiracy make.

If youd like to donate money to police the internet against all DOS attacks be my guest. My govt is already, IIUC, spending considerable resources to protect internet sites of economic and strategic importance, etc, etc.

"No one, I repeat, no one, should tell me what to think, what to see, or what to read."

And no one, I repeat no one, should steal my wallet even if leave it unattended on the sidewalk. But if someone does, and I come and complain, Im going to be laughed at.

DOS attacks on the net are to conspiracies against freedom of speech, as thefts of untended wallets are to theft in general.

Comment

Working...
                              X