The whistling of mortars/rockets/bombs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The whistling of mortars/rockets/bombs

So I was thinking about this the other day and how in movies and on TV bombs always whistle. but the sound of them is always from high pitched to low pitch which doesnt make any sense if you consider the doppler effect. so is there more at play than this?
    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

a) Rockets typically travel faster than the speed of sound. People on the receiving end probably don't hear anything before they hit

b) Given that whatever whistling actually occurs is due to the air rushing over the surfaces of the projectile and that the frquency at source is therefore also a function of projectile velocity any discussion of the doppler effect is premature if you don't understand these other effects first
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Also, by the time gravity bombs reach target they should generally be travelling at a relatively constant velocity (terminal velocity), so if anything the frequency of the sound reaching target should be constant.
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

a) Rockets typically travel faster than the speed of sound. People on the receiving end probably don't hear anything before they hit

I was taught by a history teacher who had a V2 land nearby him in WW2. He claimed he heard the whistle after the explosion.

Comment

You can hardly add suspense if you can't hear the bombs approaching.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

b) Given that whatever whistling actually occurs is due to the air rushing over the surfaces of the projectile and that the frquency at source is therefore also a function of projectile velocity any discussion of the doppler effect is premature if you don't understand these other effects first
            okay, i shouldnt have inclued rockets. i meant any projectile that is using gravity solely. so bombs or mortars descending.

also i realize that the whistling is a function of that. the frequency should either be constant or increasing.

so continue... teach me.
            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

I don't know what effect increasing velocity has on the source sound frequency. My initial guess would be that it increases it, which, coupled with the doppler effect would make an accelerating approaching object (such as a mortar shell) rise in pitch, but again, I am by no means certain. My fluid dynamics background is weak, to say the least (I know the Navier-Stokes equations and not much else)
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I have heard that mortar shells don't make much noise at all. Haven't had one fired at me, so I can't testify.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

so would it be reasonable to say that this is a movie effect and not actually real or as honest as showed in the movies?

thanks for trying though KH, I appreciate it.

Comment

I honestly can't say for certain.

Naively it seems wrong. Be careful to note that this is only for those at the wrong end of a bomb, say. Those dropping itsee the bomb accelerate away from them, giving a plausible (though by no means airtight) reason to assume that the pitch trends downward.
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I hate to break it to you, but cars don't explode on impact (well, most of them anyway) and explosives in movies have all sorts of effects added to them.

Oh, and the good guy doesn't always win.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

However, note that if the bomb travels directly overhead and then strikes somewhere past you then for the last few instants it will be getting further away from you, not closer. In that instance it might seem reasonable to say that the pitch would trend downward.
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

i thought about that for a little bit. the perspective of where the observer of the sound is. I think it's interesting to watch a movie and see how the effect is universally used for bombs whether the person is the bomber or bombee.

If it was a bombee and missed it would probably experience a pitch rise coupled with a pitch dip at the very end as it moved away from the person.

regardless this would be a fun experiment to conduct.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                            I hate to break it to you, but cars don't explode on impact (well, most of them anyway) and explosives in movies have all sorts of effects added to them.

Oh, and the good guy doesn't always win.
                            I know this, I did foley work in school. Im actually asking this for future reference if i ever do this for someone as a favor.

Comment

If it was a bombee and missed it would probably experience a pitch rise coupled with a pitch dip

No. There is no reason to expect a pitch rise.
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                              X