No announcement yet.

Anime Apolyton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I meant the Adult Swim lineup, sorry -- although I have been interested in (and lost interest in) Zatch Bell (only 100 momotos total? in how many winner-takes-all battles? how many episodes should this have lasted?).

The weekday rotation has:

Inuyasha (through all 160-something episodes, first run for the last forty or so)
    Fullmetal Alchemist (now on its third run through all 50 epidodes)
    Fooly Cooly (at least second run, obviously this won't last on a weekday rotation, replaces the third run through of both Ghost In The Shell series)

The saturday rotation has:

Trinity Blood (first run)
    Bleach (first run)
    Eureka Seven (first run)
    Samurai Champloo (at least third run through)
    Paranoia Agent (at least third run through).

Neon Genesis Evengelion was in rotation a couple months ago, so I "got" Fooly Cooly a lot more than I otherwise would have.
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Fooly Cooly has alreadhy had sevreal runs, years ago even.

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I figured as much, hence the "at least".

The run counts are as of May 2005, when I first got Cartoon Network.
        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

--"How long did you stick with it?"

Four episodes. I usually give a series three or four to grab me, and this one just didn't. The kid's reapparance and disappearance just didn't make me think things would go in a direction I'd find at all interesting.

--"Inuyasha"

Well, typical Rumiko Takahashi. Complex relationship chart, action, romance, comedy, and no wrap-up. Interesting for a while, but I do find her stuff tends to get tired after a while. Haven't seen it all because I started getting bored with it.

--"Fullmetal Alchemist"

Saw the whole thing. Decent fantasy/action stuff, but I didn't find it outstand enough that I'd want to watch it more than once.

--"Fooly Cooly"

Great, but frantic. It's really too short for TV (as the rerun cycle shows), but I have the DVDs. Good extras on them. Synch Point is releasing a revamped boxset of it soon, too, but I'm still upset at them for never finishing I'm Going to be an Angel, so I won't recommend getting it.

--"Ghost In The Shell"

Good sci-fi/action series. Haven't seen it all yet, though.

--"Trinity Blood"

Haven't seen that one. It's a Gonzo title, so it automatically drops a priority level for me, and it didn't sound all that interesting to begin with.

--"Bleach"

Saw a good chunk of that, past the Soul Society arc (however the official translation goes, not sure). Decent shounen action series, I guess, but it suffers all the usual shounen action flaws. Watchable, but I wouln't want to see any of it twice.
          Surprised Naruto isn't still running, btw. Thought it was more popular than Bleach.

--"Eureka Seven"

Haven't seen any of this. I don't normally watch much in the mecha realm unless it's got something more than just mecha to recommend it (Gunbuster, Votoms, Patlabor, Evangelion).

--"Samurai Champloo"

Couldn't stand it. I had to leave every time they started showing it at the anime club or I would have broken the TV.

--"Paranoia Agent"

Excellent stuff, but I like all of Satoshi Kon's work so far. I was rather surprised when this one make it to TV. Doesn't seem quite like what would work in the ratings, but if they've re-run it that many times it must be doing decently.

Wraith
          "Weren't you fed up with that boring world? Just an ordinary world where nothing special ever happened. Didn't you want something more interesting to happen?"
          -- Haruhi ("The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya")

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith
            Four episodes. I usually give a series three or four to grab me, and this one just didn't. The kid's reapparance and disappearance just didn't make me think things would go in a direction I'd find at all interesting.
            I suggest you try it for another 4-6 episodes, when (as far as I can tell) things really start to stabilize. I agree with the 3-4 episode test for the most part, but with a 74-episode anime it may not be as sufficient as it would be for, say, a 26-episode anime. Though, again, bear in mind that I'm generally a fan of the murder-mystery genre.
            <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
              I meant the Adult Swim lineup, sorry -- although I have been interested in (and lost interest in) Zatch Bell (only 100 momotos total? in how many winner-takes-all battles? how many episodes should this have lasted?).
              I think it goes up to 160 episodes. Right now they are fighting the millenium momodos, who don't count in the battle to become king. This storyline should also resolve the Sherry/Brago and Koko/Zophis rivalry.

I'll admit, it's a pretty sappy show. But I like it.
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

--"Inuyasha"

Well, typical Rumiko Takahashi. Complex relationship chart, action, romance, comedy, and no wrap-up. Interesting for a while, but I do find her stuff tends to get tired after a while. Haven't seen it all because I started getting bored with it.
                I remember hearing that they ended the series because a producer left and they decided it was just time to it end it. I think the no wrap-up in the end is to make people buy the manga for it.

--"Bleach"

Saw a good chunk of that, past the Soul Society arc (however the official translation goes, not sure). Decent shounen action series, I guess, but it suffers all the usual shounen action flaws. Watchable, but I wouln't want to see any of it twice.
                Surprised Naruto isn't still running, btw. Thought it was more popular than Bleach.
                I watch it occasionally, but it's on so late that I hardly pay attention even when I do.

Naruto is still on Cartoon Network, but part of the Toonami run with One Piece, Zatch Bell, and Bobobo. In fact, Naruto is the only show in the line-up that they won't pre-empt when they show a crappy movie in the timeslots.

--"Eureka Seven"

Haven't seen any of this. I don't normally watch much in the mecha realm unless it's got something more than just mecha to recommend it (Gunbuster, Votoms, Patlabor, Evangelion).
                Pretty much thought this as crap when it started so didn't watch to much. From what I've seen recently, it has gotten better.

--"Samurai Champloo"

Couldn't stand it. I had to leave every time they started showing it at the anime club or I would have broken the TV.
                I fully understand.
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Quick news update. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya has been licensed. No release dates yet, but Bandai got it.

--"I suggest you try it for another 4-6 episodes,"

Well, I do like his other work, so I guess I'll give it a try.

--"I think the no wrap-up in the end is to make people buy the manga for it."

Does the manga have an actual end? I don't follow those, either, so I wasn't sure if her manga followed the same trends her anime did.

--"Naruto is still on Cartoon Network, but part of the Toonami run"

Ah, okay. It would have been surprising if it was gone.

Wraith
                  "Haruhi makes absolutely no sense at all, but Nagato kind of makes sense which just confuses me more."
                  -- Kyon ("The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumia")

Comment

Any thoughts on Genshiken?
                    B♭3

Comment

Does the manga have an actual end? I don't follow those, either, so I wasn't sure if her manga followed the same trends her anime did.
                      No, it's still running as far as I know. I sometimes wonder if a lot of these manga ever plan to end, like Inuyasha, Naruto, and others. Although, the only one I've ever bought is Azumanga Daioh, which did end. . .too soon.
                      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Excel Saga was rather fun. Thought I'd mention.
                        I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

--"Any thoughts on Genshiken?"

Fun show. Great for the fans who aren't afraid to poke fun at themselves.

There's going to be another season of it, although at this point the rumor is that they'll be making Kujibiki Unbalanced for it instead. Which doesn't make sense to me, given the basis of KujiUn. There's enough manga out for another half-season of Genshiken, so maybe they'll still do that instead.

--"I sometimes wonder if a lot of these manga ever plan to end,"

Some of them, like Naruto, I don't think are. They're pretty much meant to run as long as they're still selling. Although there are some long ones, like Berserk, that have planned out story arcs, so even if he's expecting 100 volumes he's got an ending planned ^_^

--"Excel Saga was rather fun. Thought I'd mention. "

You might be interested in checking out Pani Poni Dash. It's got even more references packed into it than Excel Saga does.

Wraith
                          ""Your shining nose is useful in the fog..." The way he said it doesn't help at all. If you tell a bald man his head is useful in the dark, you'd get punched in the face. Santa says such cruel things."
                          -- Osaka ("Azumanga Daioh")

Comment

I ought to start watching Gun Musashi

Look at that fluid animation
                            <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

So I ended up D/L some Genshiken...

Two episodes in, and I already love the cluelessness of Kohsaka and that girl's desperation to get with him.
                              B♭3

Comment

re: loin's links.
                                This is a spoof, right? Please tell me yes, because that animation's so... er...
                                B♭3

Comment

Working...
                                X